Laptop Fn key problem.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yakrider, Dec 15, 2005.

1. yakrider

yakrider Private E-2

Hi all,
    recently my laptop has started acting up seriously. I have an AOpen laptop where the Fn key controls things like the number pad overlayed on the keyboard ( i.e. jkluio=1234567 etc) when the Fn key is down. Occasionally the Fn key acts randomly like it is always down and when I'm tying those numbers pop up when the letters should normally be seen. Sometimes those letters just dont show up and only show up when i activate the num-lock (Fn F11). and then I get jumbled typing where the letters sometimes show up as letters and other times as numbers. Its gettng pretty weird since it is pretty random. I spend about half an hour cleaning this post up by retyping where the numbers appear (or nothing appears) repeatedly until i get the letter that i'm really trying to type, or pressing the Fn key while typing the letter to see if that gives the letter instead of the number. The problem is with the left side of the board since thats where the num-lock overlayed keys are. But the problem is extensive since when that is happening other Fn key functions like sleep (for F2) and mute (for F5) also get randomly activated and disactivated thus making my computing experience miserable.

I am a student and really need to work a lot on my computer this is driving me insane.

I have tried uninstalling the keyboard hook from device management applet (devmgmt.msc) and letting it reinstall on boot. I tried scanning for spyware (spybot search and destroy) and didnt find anythng. searched various forums and the internet to find out that quite a few different ppl are having similar problems with laptop fn keys but didnt find a solution anywhere. I am hoping you guys might be able to help me out on this.

any pointers would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. yakrider

yakrider Private E-2

come on someone's gotta have some input. I'm totally lost

3. steve Max

steve Max Private First Class

I had a problem with my hp this past summer. The function key would no longer allow me to increase the screen brightness when I was on battery power. I first did a fresh install of windows but it did not fix it. The hp warranty was over by a week,go figure, but I luckily bought the extended warranty and after about 2 months fighting with the store I bought it from they discovered the keybord was the problem. Hopefully other members might be able to help out, and the keyboard is not the problem with yours.....good luck..

4. 1trkmind

1trkmind Private First Class

5. yakrider

yakrider Private E-2

1trkmind, thanks for the link to the open forum. I did run into that earlier, but first they dont have enough ppl giving advice, and second noone seems to be talking about laptop keyboards. I did suspect the hardware might be faulty and have been scouring the internet to find a replacement keyboard, but havent found anywhere to buy it from yet. If you guys know of a place, that would be nice. I am past my warranty by some six months.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds