"DirectCD Drivers Disabled" error on starting XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by arcus_pluvius, Dec 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arcus_pluvius

arcus_pluvius Private E-2

Every time I load up XP, an error speech bubble flashes up and an icon appears in the tray at the right-hand end of my task bar along with all the other icons. The error message says:

"Devices or applications disabled
    DirectCD will cause Windows to become unstable. Windows has prevented these drivers from loading. Click here for more information."

When I click on the bubble, a help window appears directing me to a URL, which it says will allow me to update the drivers in question. When I click on the link, it takes me to the Roxio website and a page advertising a new version of their cd creating package.

I have a partitioned hard drive and Roxio Easy CD creator is installed on the part formatted with Windows 98. I can't and don't use it on XP. I have, however, made a drag and drop rewriteable cd, which we did (a long time ago) insert and try to use on XP once. We tried to install the necessary software which the rewriteable disk said it needed to function on XP, but we got an error message saying that the software was incompatible with XP or something like that. (This all happened several years ago so I'm sorry if my memory's a little fuzzy!)

Anyway, there have been no problems until recently and to my knowledge, no one has tried to do anything more with the cd or with Roxio using the XP formatted part of the hard drive. I don't know what this error message means or how to get rid of it. I have searched for "DirectCD" on my hard drives and all I can find are the files on my C:\ drive (Windows 98 formatted) where Roxio Easy CD creator is installed.

I doubt this is a very serious problem but it's certainly getting very annoying and any help that anyone can offer me would be very much appreciated. I've attached a report made by Aida32, as suggested in the Driver Announcement thread (http://forums.majorgeeks.com/announcement.php?f=23) and hope this gives the required technical information.

Attached Files:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

3. arcus_pluvius

Yes, it is version 5.

I've tried downloading the update, following that link. I can't get it to work. It times out once I've confirmed that I do want to proceed with the download, even though it is going to uninstall Take Two from my system.

I have the added complication that I can't seem to get the internet to work on the Windows 98 formatted part of the hard drive. I have a Speedtouch USB modem and DSL Broadband but, although everthing seems to install fine once I've connected to the internet, nothing will load. Speedtouch's self-diagnosing problem-fixing program tells me that there's something wrong with the PPP controls (and I'm not at all sure what that means) and that I should disconnect and reconnect to fix the problem. Needless to say, that doesn't fix the problem.

What I don't understand is how a program I have installed on the Windows 98 part of my computer is causing problems on the XP part of it, when XP shouldn't even be trying to access it!

4. DavidGP

Install Regcleaner on the XP install and run it, click Startup List and remove any Roxio items from the list, then try again ( this should hopefully stop DirectCD from starting with XP )
    XP is none compatible with that version of Take Two and as part of the install of the updates removes TakeTwo as it can crash the PC.... version 6 of Roxio works fine with XP.

5. arcus_pluvius

Have done the above. There are no Roxio products on the start up list. Just my anti-virus, my firewall, the software for my modem, and that for my printer, MSN and something called Ctfmon.exe. :confused:

6. DavidGP

Ctfmon.exe is a legitimate file, its part of Office http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282599

When you installed some software on the XP partition to be able to read CDRWs was it UDFReader by any chance, if so goto add/remove and un-install it as the older version may have been installed.

then install this newer version of the UDF Reader for XP if you wish to continue reading DirectCD or Drag n Drop CDRWs

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

8. DavidGP

9. arcus_pluvius

Thank you, both! :)

I have uninstalled UDF reader and the driver error bubble does not appear on start up any more. We don't need to use the drag and drop cd with XP so I haven't installed UDF reader v.7, but I've bookmarked the link to it in case I ever need to.

I've read through both the Microsoft Support URLs. I don't get any of the errors mentioned in the first one so should I still go through and delete those registry entries? I've not had any problems uninstalling the UDF reader so do I still need to download the Windows Installer CleanUp tool?

10. DavidGP

I'd say if everything is running ok then no to having to edit those registry entries and also no to the need to use the Windows Installer Cleanup tool, but Adryn has vastly more experience than me on that tool.

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Well you know what they say. If it aint broke, don't fix it. If your cd writer works fine, then fuggeddaboudit. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds