Home cooling methods :D

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sauce, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Sauce

Sauce Private E-2

Hey guys i was just wondering does anybody have any cool but practical ideas of cooling your pc with little or no money and got a result?

I have moved my tower next to my window and my CPU temperature has dropped a nice 10 degrees while working. Along with RAM temperature and case temperature by about 5-8 degrees lol winter aint so bad i guess lol ^^ (by doing this do you think i might risk my computer to damage by any chance?or am i being paranoid?:confused: ) only problem now is im cold lol

Sauce

2. hammer1

hammer1 Private E-2

Well, I guess I don't have to remind you to close the window during a driving rain. I have my tower ddesktop high on a special rack I built,away from the wall, in the shade,all that stuff,total of seven case fans and it keeps my infamous Prescott below 30C..Every little bit helps.
    Congrats.........

3. Batteries

Batteries Private E-2

I was thinking about running a duct out my window in the winter to suck in the 0-5C air. That would keep it nice and chilly, but then I thought "Jeez, I'm really being obsessive about this." It would be ridiculous to run a duct outside just too cool my PC.

I have however thought about running a small duct from my air conditioner (in the summer) to the PC, but honestly, all of these ideas are just because I'm bored and being obsessive with the temps. I have no cooling issues at all, and never have had any issues.

The one thing I can recommend is to either move your computer closer to the window, or if that is impossible, move it closer to the wall (make sure you don't block any intake/exhaust holes!!!!!). Walls (especially brick and concrete ones in apartments) give off cold air (not wind, just natural convection) and that would potentially help to cool your PC.

*Edit* Oh, and you never, EVER, want your computer high up (as in, on the ceiling) because hot air rises (obviously) and having it up there basking in the hot air isn't exactly going to help cooling matters.

4. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

I have a pedestal oscilating fan which I use to direct air flow towards my sys. I also have AC in the room but they cost about 20c an hour to run where the pedestal fan costs 20c a day. Also the AC is very limited in directional flow control but the fan I can just pick up and move around the room and if I use it with the AC I can spread the cool air around a lot quicker. I think this makes a good difference especially in summer. Having my sys to close to the window will increase the potential humidity to enter my sys (I live in sub-tropics) so this is a big no-no for me.

5. fxman

fxman Private First Class

This took some time but this is what I did to my son's computer. I just hid as much wiring as I could. On some I used heatshrink (not shown in these pics). An you might notice the "face plate" I made that attaches to the 4.25" bay. I route the un needed molex cables and other wires to this bay, zip tie them all nice and neat and pop the plate on. I also airbrushed the plate with a skull and fire to liven it up a bit. This system runs cool as a cucumber!

Attached Files:

6. fxman

This is the other side I painted. I posted it a long time ago but here it is again.:)
    You can see my editing machine under cooling and modding / looking for a new case and see how I did the wiring in it as well.

Attached Files:

• fire.jpg
      fire.jpg
      File size:
      51.2 KB
      Views:
  7. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

doesn't look like the wire management did much, the thing is on fire.

8. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Wish you were my dad

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Very nice fxman :)

I do like the bottle cap hole cutting idea, I need to tidy mine up one day!

10. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

When i lived n my old appartment i had two dryer vent tubes running to and from my PC to the out side air and back. I had 2 120MM fans on a toggle switch on the front of my case :).... It was ~ 16F out side at the time I got load temps of ~ 40F :D and thats for a hot 1.4 Tbred running @ 1.6 on 1.95V ..... Winter is overclockers weather :D..

11. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

12. HuntingWolf

HuntingWolf Private E-2

13. beema

beema Private E-2

well this may sound really "ghetto" but for a while I would just take the side panel off my case and focus a room-fan on it. shot it down about 20 degrees.

14. fxman

LOL! I am glad you like it...I will take that as a compliment!:)

Thanks for all the compliments! Cutting this hole in the backside of the computer case was done using my dremel tool. As far as the wiring...I spent hours looking for every nook and cranny to run and hide wires! and were possible I would use heat shrink....It REALLY makes a big difference in the cooling. The only extra fan I installed was on the backside of the case where the fire is. I removed all the USB and stuff at the top of the computer because of ALL the wires that hang down from this thing. He has 4 or 6 usb ports that are part of the mobo anyway....so out that went!:)

15. taz55

taz55 Private First Class

i always liked this idea, take nylons and seal off all holes including fans. keeps big pieces of dust out prents your heat sinks and fans from bieng clogged. place a strip of duct tape on the bottom of the case sticky side up tape down the edges so that thin dust particles get stuck on the tape and replace every once and a while. someone here on the forums says he does this and likes it. im not sure how cold it makes it but hey its worth it in my opinion.

16. Steeev

Steeev Corporal

How about cutting a blowhole in the top of the case, just big enough for the hose of a vaccum cleaner?
    Not good for fans of low-noise computers, but should improve the airflow around the system. ;)

17. Tlecuauhtli

Tlecuauhtli Private E-2

Nice im trying to go for the black look also..:D

18. X9EZ6NC

X9EZ6NC Private E-2

I just take my side casing off and it seems to be fine. Ventilates really good too!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds