PSP - USB Device Not Recognized

Discussion in 'Software' started by dabest, Jan 7, 2006.

1. dabest

dabest Private E-2

I was trying to connect my PSP to my computer but when I connected the USB to the PSP an error message pops up on the taskbar stating: "One of the devices connected to this computer has malfunctiones, and windows did not recognized it." And when I clicked the message as instructed a window pops up with heading USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED and the location of the "unknown device" was listed but not using the unused USB port. This puzzles me. How come my computer does not recognize the PSP unit?

For your reference:
    Computer Pentium III 550 MHz, 256 MHz memory, with intex (generic brand) 4 port USB card on expansion slot (PCI).

Device Manager shows under Universal Serial Bus controllers:
    -ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    -Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
    -USB Root Hub
    -USB Root Hub
    -USB Root Hub
    -USB Root Hub
    -USB Root Hub
    -VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller

Thank you for your time and help.

2. HOYS

HOYS Private E-2

Do you have 256 Mb of memory I'm assuming?
    Thats the bare minimum for XP. I suggest buying more.

Is the USB card 2.0 USB?

3. dabest

dabest Private E-2

Hoys, Yes, I mean 256 Mb instead of MHz. Sorry for mistyping and/or confusion. The USB card is USB 2.0, too. I guess the memory is not really the issue and even if I upgrade the memory, my processor is only Pentium III 550 Mhz. Anyway, I tried to connect the same PSP to other computer with 256 Mb memory, USB 2.0 and the connection went fine. Windows XP SP2 recognized the device. The only difference with the set-up was that the computer's processor is AMD(?) 1GHz.

Thanks for your reply.:)

4. HOYS

HOYS Private E-2

Dumb question, but, Have you tried to plug it into different USB ports?

5. HOYS

HOYS Private E-2

Ah, upon looking at the PSP troubleshooting on their site:

Does your motherboard support plug and play?

If not, Plug in your PSP while the computer is on, then reboot. That should fix it...

6. dabest

dabest Private E-2

My PC motherboard support plug and play...and I have tried using all the unused USB ports but windows still did not recognized my PSP. Furthermore, I have other USB device that I connect with my PC but I don't have any problem connecting. Anyway, I will try your suggestion to plug the PSP while computer on, then reboot... I guess I would not have any problem with it. I'll advise you later on the result... Thanks again:)

7. dabest

dabest Private E-2

Luck run out of me... just really can't figure out what's wrong with the set-up. It should have been plug and play as with all other USB devices I connect with my PC... How come my PSP can't be recognized by my OS and considered it as "Unknown Device"? I've tried it with anumber of other computer and the PSP was recognized and had been installed.

I read the PSP manual again particularly the "Troubleshooting Section" and found out that a PC may not recognize the PSP system and/or the Memory Stick Duo connected through a USB cable when using a USB hub or other devices. The manual states no other instances when the PSP system may not be recognized by the PC. I assume that the fact that my PC's USB ports are available through a PCI expansion slot is not an issue here.

Does anybody out there who can help me with this? Please....

8. HOYS

HOYS Private E-2

Do you have all the latest windows updates?

Why does it need to be connected to this computer? You can transfer files the other one if you have a network...

9. dabest

dabest Private E-2

Sorry for not replying soon. My internet connection was down for sometime. Anyway, I already gave up on trying to connect my PSP to my PC. I guess, I can't do anything but to use other PC. Thanks again.

10. alprenxx

alprenxx Private E-2

I would bet you r problem is caused by the fact that you have the notorious ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller. I am currently struggeling with your problem but another device, works on other machine but not on the laptop with ALI controller....

http://www.usbman.com/Guides/ali_tips_and_tricks.htm

11. dabest

dabest Private E-2

I didn't know that ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller has some issues... Thanks alprenxx for your timely advise. I opened the link you provided already and I would try to do the suggestion. Do you know how to disable the auto-detect of new hardware for XP? Anyway, I just briefly scan the link you provided. Maybe, the answer is there. Good Luck to you too...

Thanks again...:cool:

12. dabest

dabest Private E-2

Update of the driver using the one at the link you provided didn't work. And it seems that the driver that windows XP automatically assigned for my USB card is the updated one and digitally signed. Anyway, it seems that my problem really is the USB card installed in my PC. It has some limitations as to compatibility with some USB device particularly those composite devices and Hi-Speed Isochronous Transfers. I guess I am stuck with the using other PC.

For all who replied/posted, thanks!:)

13. jenacy.69

jenacy.69 Private E-2

hey hey kk long time not on comp lol working/ school to much.. k well i dl some thing called sonic stage but that didn't help.. i got 2 USB ports that i tried.. neither worked.. could it be that the USB cord is faulty or my USB port to my comp... whats an easy fix?? what do i have to dl inorder to put music on my psp.. and btw i dont kno what OS and ALi things mean.. ty ty for all yer time guys!!:wave

14. nicknockz401

nicknockz401 Private E-2

How about niether, your usb ports in the front of your computer aren't working right? Try Pluging it in elsewhere, it is definatly a driver issue. I just solved my problem just like this yesterday. The front ports are never setup the same way as the back ports, they need a driver to be able to connect correctly, so your psp can transfer files. Try plugging in your device in your problem port then go to the "device manager", by right clicking on My Computer and clicking on properties, then go to the Hardware tab. (USB is usally the last on the list or second from last.) Look up the usb device that has a question mark or other sign on it. That is the usb port that needs attention. By finding an add-on driver for extened usb ports such as "easy access" ports through the front of your computer. Try looking to see if you have an intergrated usb port through it or one that was added separatly. If it was separate look on the card or device and lift the model number off of it and google it to get the drivers.
    You may not have to go to far into it but I like to help.
    :cool

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds