formatting hdd with ntfs?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by artsandcrafty, Jan 30, 2006.

1. artsandcrafty

artsandcrafty Private E-2

I am looking to change my FAT32 over to NTFS. I keep finding references to how it is better to reformat my drive with NTFS rather than converting it through command. What I can not find is any instruction to how I can perform this act of formating. Can anyone help me in my ignorance?:eek:

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

If you boot up with the XP CD, during the process, it will ask if you wish to format with NTFS or NTFS(Quick). It will always ask about converting if there is a OS already on the drive, because it always assumes at that point that you are doing a Repair.

3. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

You should first understand that "formatting your drive" WILL cause all of the information on your HardDrive to be lost. Converting your drive will preserve your information.

If you want ot format, you would do that when you are installing your Operating System (WinXP, Win2K etc.)

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Yes!
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=25831

Another way is to use a free Utility from the HDD manufacture, some of which are avaible on MG front page.
    I prefer the Manufacture Utility when setting up multiple partitions.

Your XP Upgrade cd will work just fine.

5. Hardmarkerin

Hardmarkerin Private First Class

Since this was not mentioned by artsandcrafty, would like to know Anyways which OS do you have ? if you are not using Win XP or 2K then NTFS is not atall a good option !!!!!!!!!

6. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Some of us know cause he's got another Thread going.

Multiple Thread's can cause confussion.

He was running 98 & has an XP upgrade

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds