computer asking for password?

Discussion in 'Software' started by tester36, Feb 1, 2006.

1. tester36

tester36 Private First Class

hey all,
    My son called me and said my computer at home had been making some funny noise through the head phones and is now asking for an administrator password. I am away at work is there any thing I can do from here to see if someone is trying to do something to my computer? Or what is going on?:eek:
    Steph

2. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

This isn't Malware related, I will move you to the software forum.

3. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

What was your son trying to do? Install software? A task that requires admin access?
    What OS? Fill in some blanks, please... :)

4. tester36

My son was at work and the computer started making noise through the head set my husband said, then when my son came in he said ilt was asking for windows admin password and to contact the administrator. Windows XP with service patch 2 AVG , Zone alarm and the other malware stoppers from this site. 2001 Dell Inspiron:eek:

5. tester36

Hi, I came home to Kazaa remnants on my computer now I cant get the bitdefender to run I started ccleaner and cleanup and spybot search and destroy s&d found 46 processes Does anybody have any Ideas on how to get bitdefender to run?:eek:

6. bjgarrick

Download the following items:

KazaaBegone

Kazaa Spyware Removal

Run these two utilities and it should remove anything relating to Kazaa.

7. tester36

Hey BJ thanks for your quick responses,
    last night I could not even get the Kazaa begone to download nor bitdefender
    but I woke up in the middle of the night and thought maybe I could get on from my sons account and it worked. BTW his girlfriend downloaded this crap what a present to come home to but I have been working all night and I think may be I am getting somewhere but some things seem to be coming back

my account I sons account

ccleaner cleaned and repaired both accounts
    cleanup cleaned both
    Asquared need2find toolbar not run
    something from
    Mozilla ?

Adaware se myway search lotss of stuff repaired both
    Spybot 17 processes disinfected both

MIcroAntispy found alot of same repaired
    Malicious remover nothing
    cwshredder nothing
    Bit defender aim files wx bug (can I use aim fixer and not hurt aol messenger?)
    Panda scan found same
    Ewido ran and fixed 25 processes

I lost the bitdefenderscan somehow

Attached Files:

8. bjgarrick

What problems are you having at the moment?

9. tester36

computer is running extremely slow when loading web pages and is locking up doing the simplest of things for instance posting here trying to attach a picture and it freezes. but I am atleast able to connect to the internet last night I could not even do that btw I have dsl I uninstalled Spyware Guard and reinstalled Microsoft Anti Spy might be part of it but I felt like it does a better job even if it is a little heavy on the resources but I will do whatever you say,
    steph

10. bjgarrick

MSAS is aweful IMO, it is a resource hog and not to mention it's BETA and has many bugs.

Are you still being prompted for the Admin password you initially started with?

11. tester36

no, no password request now:)

12. bjgarrick

Since this is resolved I would like you to come back to the Malware Forum so we can dig a little deeper and find out if your completely clean.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds