need help with certain adware

Discussion in 'Software' started by alex604, Oct 27, 2002.

1. alex604

alex604 Private E-2

I have this really annoying adware installed on my computer which I can't find and uninstall. I've used adaware software, but it doesn't seem to find it, because it keeps on happening.

What happens is once in a while, I get a popup message on my computer (not webpage) with an ad in it. It's not a webpage style popup, it's more like a visual basic programmed popup that seems to be activated remotely, because they have my IP listed on the actual ad. Here is a screenshot of it:

[​IMG]

I blacked out my IP for my own security. It says "Messenger" on the top of the window but i don't think it is related to the MSN messenger. This adware is driving me nuts, and seriously this is some kind of breach of my privacy, it's like a trojan. I don't really want to completely re-install my windows just to get rid of this, but of course, I will if it's my only choice.

Does anyone know how do get rid of this adware?? ANY help would be appreciated!

2. johnsr

johnsr Private E-2

This is a problem within the MS Messenger service. Spammers have figured out a way to send ads on it. For 99% of people this is an unneeded service.
    go into control panel, Administrative tools, Services. Scoll down to Messenger. Highlite it, right click and select properties. On the General tab screen look for Startup type and select disabled.
    If I remember correctly, you should restart for the change to take effect. Say goodbye to those intrusive ads.

3. johnsr

johnsr Private E-2

Sorry Alec, your answer popped up while I was composing.
    Hope people appreciate the quick answers they get here!!

4. alex604

alex604 Private E-2

thanks for the quick response, you guys are awsome! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds