FAT problem on D: partition

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ewen, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Ewen

Ewen Corporal

I have two drives,

Drive 1 (C:\) is 20gig and Win Me occupies the entire drive

Drive 2 is 20 gig partitioned D, E, F. XP is on D:\

System is a Pentium III with 384 meg memory.

I was using a DOS boot disk recently and when I navigated to D:\ partition a line appeared onscreen saying "File Allocation Table on D, is bad".

I have 'scandisked' until I'm blue in the face using Windows and DOS and they both report "No Problems". I have used Partition Magic to scan and XP's file management system and they report no problems. The boot disk by the way is an Me one.

How else can I check my D:\ drive for errors in the FAT?

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

boot up with XP and run CHKDISK at the command prompt.
    it will give you an error saying it cannot lock the volume and ask if you want to do this upon next reboot. Choose yes.

3. FlyingPenguin

FlyingPenguin Private E-2

If you have XP installed you should NOT rely on WinME's scandisk. XP's FAT32 is slightly different and Me's scandisk is probably not compatible with it.

You should only scandisk and defrag from XP. If XP says it's okay then it's probably okay.

The D partition isn't NTFS by any chance? If so, WinME won't be able to access it at all.

4. Ewen

Ewen Corporal

FlyingPenquin and Kodo... thank you for your replies. The Partition is Fat32 and the Scandisk I was using was from DOS. However I'll try booting from the CD later tonight. Will the bootup sequence recognise that XP is on D and not on C?

5. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

if you installed WinXP second (looks like you did) then it should have modified the boot menu for you so you can choose winme or xp to boot to.

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

if you installed WinXP second (looks like you did) then it should have modified the boot menu for you so you can choose winme or xp to boot to.

7. Rumple

Rumple Numbnuts

that echo is getting everywhere

it's worse than hiccups

it's worse than hiccups:D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds