PS2 Mouse On Thinkpad 760 Serial Port

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ThinkpadThinkin, Feb 6, 2006.

1. ThinkpadThinkin

ThinkpadThinkin Private E-2

I recently purchased an old IBM Thinkpad 760LE for my daughter to play kids activity games on. This model is about 10 years old and was not optioned with PS2 support. I needed to attach an external mouse to the computer so my little one could use it. So I purchased a small USB mouse which included a USB to PS2 adapter. I also purchased a serial port to PS2 adapter for the serial port of the Thinkpad. I have Win98 loaded on the machine as well as the Thinkpad Features Utility software. I diabled the trackpoint in the features and did the reboot with the new mouse attached. Mouse lights up but does not work. I also tried a standard PS2 mouse connected to the serial/PS2 adapter and it did not work either. Is it possible to do this?? If it is, what am I doing wrong???

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Go into the settings and tell it to look at the Serial Port (Com1, 2, 3, 4) dependant on any other serial devices on computer.

3. ThinkpadThinkin

ThinkpadThinkin Private E-2

You think it might be assigned to something else; is what your saying??

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

No, what I am saying is that usually Com1 is for the mouse, and if your software settings for the mouse are not set to look for an external mouse, it may not see it. Also make sure that the Bios settings are set up correctly for the Serial port (enabled).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds