Need Help with my computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tinsix, Feb 6, 2006.

1. tinsix

tinsix Private E-2

I just recently built my computer and I just tried it out. So far it boots but when it loads to boot the os it shuts down automatically.

The Specs are:

pentium 4 3.2 ghz
    420 W psu
    5.1 sound blaster audigy
    Tv tuner
    Wifi-b asus expantion card
    Asus p4900SE motherboard
    2*512 mb ram
    120mm fan
    2*80 fan

Does anyone know what I can do to solve this problem.

2. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

Does it gave you an error message before it shut down ???

3. tinsix

tinsix Private E-2

it doesn't it boots but after the initial hardware detection it powerdowns.

4. Runner789

Runner789 Private E-2

Sounds like you may have some driver incompatibility.

Can you boot into safe mode? This loads minimal drivers.
    Try removing as much external items as possible. eg expansion cards.
    Only try booting hard drive, video, ram

5. tinsix

tinsix Private E-2

Here is the thing I didn't load any new drivers or anything. I haven't installed any os yet because I was trying to boot with my old harddrive but it doesn't even go to the xp loading screen it shuts off before it.

I don't know what to do.

If its a driver incompatibility what do I have to do?

6. acejones

acejones A Different Title

if you are booting to an old hard drive that has on os on it, then you are having MAJOR driver conflicts. your new hardware is trying to load drivers written for other hardware. like Runner789 said, you can try to boot to safe mode. if you can, you can uninstall your old hardware and let windows redetect after a reboot.

7. tinsix

tinsix Private E-2

then I need to get a new harddrive for it to work properly?

Cause I haven't installed any drivers yet because I don't have a hdd. I was trying to use my old hdd from my dell to test out the boot.

Plus I understand not to boot my expansion cards until the os is installed and then I should install the drivers. Its just that my motherboard doesn't have enough documentation to cover this.

8. Runner789

Runner789 Private E-2

Not necessarily.

What is the HDD manufacturer?
    What size is the HDD?
    What is the OS on the "old" hdd?

Generally. Adding an old hdd to a new comp and expecting it to boot properly is like trying to win the lottery. It may or may not work.

A clean / new formatted hd with OS is always best.

If you can boot to safe mode, then uninstall the drivers. Reboot and let the system find them. It might work ok.

As indicated in the previous post, you have driver conflicts.
    The OS is trying to use the old drivers AND is trying to install and use the new drivers.

9. tinsix

tinsix Private E-2

Here is the thing I can't boot it in safe mode because it shuts off after it loads the logo.

It can't boot to the point where I can choose to enter safe mode via F8.

Even if I try to access the Bios screen it will shut itself down. I don't understand whats going on.

At first I thought it didn't have enough power but the cas came with a 420w psu.

Plus I don't think its a driver issue since nothing isn't installed on the computer.

Its like a body without a brain: It boots but it then powers down.

Thats why I'm fustrated with this problem. It won't give me an error neither by beep or visual.

10. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

you need to make sure heatsink on the cpu is properly seated . sounds like you are overheating and the bios thermal shutdown is being activated. even 1 leg not being all the way down can cause massive heat. also double check that the cpu fan is connected to the appropriate pins (should say cfan or cpufan)also make sure ram is seated properly. hope that helps

11. theefool

theefool Geekified

Ignore my previous.

Just saw that getting into the bios causes a shutdown.

Did you apply a small bit of thermal grease on the CPU? Like a 1/4 of an eye drop?

Also, is the CPU fan properly hooked up?

REMOVE all devices except for the CPU and Memory. This includes expansion cards.

Does the computer startup up?

12. tinsix

tinsix Private E-2

The fan is mounted and works properly. But if it is the cpu overheating how can I fix that?

I have one 120mm fan extracting air from the back and have two 80mm on the top and the sides to cool the case down.

The fan is connected to the proper pins.

Could it be that there is an instance where the cpu was overheated and is stored in the flash bios as the temp?

13. paulmat

paulmat Private E-2

My desktop ..... when i press the power button it keeps powering on and off rapidly.. what could be the problem???

My system:
    2.5Ghz Celeron cpu (intel)
    768Mb pc3200 RAM (corsair)
    300Gb Hd (Maxtor) {IDE}
    128 mb video (ati)
    400w power supply
    T.v tuner
    Sony 16X dvd rw dual layer
    16bit soundcard
    Windows xp home

(I am using my laptop to post this) :mad: :mad: :mad: please help!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds