A network cable is unplugged. no, it isnt!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HackSore, Feb 7, 2006.

1. HackSore

HackSore Private E-2

Hi,

I have 2 computers sat next to each other that i have been trying to LAN together. I tried the onboard lan ports on each motherboard, but it just said "a network cable is unplugged" even though it isnt.
    I tried fiddling about with settings and such, but it just doesnt regester that the cable is plugged in.
    So i went out and brought 2 identical network cards, installed them in both machines, disabled the onboard lan on both mobo's, plugged in the crossover cable, and still i get the message "a network cable is unplugged"

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening?

2. spatacca

spatacca Private E-2

After connecting the crossover cable, you will need to configure each network adapter with a static IP and same subnet. For ex. PC#1 IP=192.168.0.1 and PC#2=192.168.0.2 both would use the same subnet 255.255.255.0

Also, make sure both computers are configured as members of the same workgroup. Ex: WORKGROUP

Once they are configured, restart the machines and ping each address to test them. That should get you up and running.

If it continues to not recognize the other check your firewall settings.

3. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

If it says "a network cable is unplugged" that would indicate that you have a hardware problem, bad cable or perhaps it's marked as a crossover cable when it's not.

Spatacca is correct too that you need to be in the same workgroup and on the same network, meaning the numbers need to match ie. 192.168.0.1 etc.

4. HackSore

HackSore Private E-2

Thanks for the advice guys, as i said, tried the onboard lan and brought a pair of network cards, so im pretty sure its not hardware causing the problem, and ive been assured the cable works fine, so i'll try adjusting the settings and see what happens.

5. HackSore

HackSore Private E-2

Ok, i tried setting the ip and subnet addresses, and making sure they were both on the same workgroup, but still got the unplugged message.
    When i try and ping machine 2 from machine 1, the request times out, and when i ping machine 1 from machine 2, i get a destination host unreachable message.

Any ideas?

6. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

7. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

hi HackSore
    I just tried a straight-though cable => unplugged message:(
    I then tried a crossed-pair cable ( crossover) => works great!! :)

I only mention this because "crossover" in this context may have more than one meaning.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds