Hardware problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chefito, Feb 7, 2006.

1. chefito

chefito Private E-2

I was trying to instal a new dvd writer and now all I hear is a loud beep from my HP Pavilion.It won't come on. Did I disconnect something? Thanks.

2. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

Was it a series of beeps or one beep or one really long beep???

If it was a series of beeps, the number of beeps is revelant to the problem.

Perhaps you bumped the RAM or Video card. Try reseating them.

This shouldn't cause any beeps, but make sure you have the ribbon installed correctly and if you added a drive as opposed to replaceing one, you need to be sure you set the jumpers for Master/Slave. If it's the only drive on the ribbon then the jumper doesn't matter.

3. chefito

chefito Private E-2

Thanks. It is a series of beeps I am not comp. savvy but may I ask where would the card be.

4. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

The Video card is what you monitor cable hooks up to on the back of your computer. It may be integrated on your system though. I would suggest removing and reinstalling the RAM which is on the Mother Board. 1 or 2 thin circuit boards that are about 5 or 6 inches long and snap into slots on the MB. Make sure the gold contacts are clean and that the slots don't have any dust in them. Pay particular attention to the small key notches in the RAM Modules. Make sure you plug them in correctly or they will fry.

If this doesn't work, count the beeps. there will be a series of beeps and a short pause and then it will repeat.

5. chefito

chefito Private E-2

Will do. Thanks

6. chefito

chefito Private E-2

Thanks Shnerdly. It was the long card. I reset it and all is well.

7. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

One is glad to be of service

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds