Lost wireless card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by willtell, Feb 7, 2006.

1. willtell

willtell Private E-2

My roommate reformated his hard drive and then reloaded windows xp pro. Everything is working fine but it did not recognize his wireless card. I looked in the device manager under network adapters and it only lists his ethernet card (National Semiconductor DP83815-Based PCI fast ethernet adapter) and 1394 net adapter. IT does not show what his wireless card is. He does not have an install cd for his wireless card because it came in the laptop already installed. His laptop is an HP Pavilion ze5470. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

3. willtell

willtell Private E-2

I looked there and the directions look good, but the only recovery cd's that my roommate has didn't work. He's got 5 cds that say system recovery, none had contents that matched the website. He also has the Win XP install cds, would those work to reinstall drivers/hardware/software needed to recognize that the wireless card is there?

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

If every thing else works, and the Wireless is a PCMCIA Card, look at the Original manfacturer site, you might find drivers there.

Make sure that you get rid of the Ghosts in the Device manager before you continue with the installation. http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ghost

:D

5. willtell

willtell Private E-2

What are the ghosts? The items under the question mark? Can I just delete them by right clicking, or how do I go about that?

6. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

Hi WillTell
    Those XP install disks could very well include the correct drivers. Possibly Disk2 of the set. It's only a guess, however.

7. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Yeah, if you have a Ghost you have to get rid of it.

Right click on the item and click on Uninstall.

:D

8. bludgen_riffola

bludgen_riffola Private E-2

hi willtell,you say the laptop came with the wireless card installed. is win xp and drivers on a seperate partition on the hard drive? the reason i ask is that my daughters laptop`s wireless failed and i uninstalled the driver,windows being windows then `found new hardware` , searched for the driver ,found it in the recovery partition and re installed it,hey presto.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds