Internet Problems! Please Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Siterath, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Siterath

Siterath Private E-2

Firstly, BAH! I just posted and it didn't post ... so anyway lol

First: Malware Removal (the read first topics) ... I did some of the steps, but since my problem is not having a working internet connection, I had to download them to a flash drive off of this school computer. I will be doing them all when I return home

Here is my problem in basic steps

1) My dialup starts getting slower, and it disconnects me. We decide to get DSL

2) Get DSL, install in newer PC using the USB. Doesn't work (filters on everything but the DSL). Call company, they say its a computer problem. We try the old computer (hasn't been on the net in ages) and it doesn't work. They say the modem is getting the info, so its a PC problem. So I try with the ethernet cable, same result in each PC (in fact, the older one was the only one where the disk said ethernet would work. The newer one says its not available. When I go to CP, System, it has it listed under "Other Devices" instead of Network. When I use the disk that came with the PC to install the drivers, it has no change.) Apparently I connect in some way (as my buddylist comes up) but pages don't load and my connection is poor ... worse than dialup normally is

3) With it not working in either PC, I put the dialup back in (unfiltered) ... it has the exact same effect. I get some connection, but its horrible, and I am constantly disconnected/booted. So I (in desparation) put a filter on the dialup's line, no effect.

That's about where I am now, no internet, with these major problems. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Is this a virus or some other malware that I can hunt and remove? Has this occured before? Will I need to do a full recovery by erasing windows? Thank you for your time, and I apologize if I seem a little anxious :p

PS: From what I know, in case it helps, the Newer PC is Win XP, the older is ME

2. Siterath

Siterath Private E-2

Ok ... here is what I know off the top of my head... I cannot provide more info until I gather it from home

Ram: 1 GB
    HD: I believe its 80 GB
    Make: Dell Dimension 8300

Sorry.... I'll take home the info programs, gather the info, and report back ASAP ... I hope its enough info, but I highly doubt it lol

3. Siterath

Siterath Private E-2

ok .. I got some sort of connection at home ... on the dialup, but its still an unstable connection ... Here's the system summary and the Hijack this log (in the event I am unable to get online again) ...

Attached Files:

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

make sure that you have a Valid Network Connetion.

In General, you can debug the Network Settings of a computer by following these steps.

Step One. Check the Network parameters in the Computer's Device Manager. Make sure that the Network Card drivers are installed correctly; i.e. there is No IRQ conflict, and No Ghost installation. http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ghost

Step Two Verify Basic network setting in the OS: http://www.ezlan.net/Installing#verify If the above two Steps indicates that every thing looks good but functionally it does not work.

Step Three. Check (and repair if necessary) the Socket Layers, Winsock, and or refresh the TCP/IP Stack. http://www.ezlan.net/clean#refreshnet
    If need to Reinstall; Log to this page it have a lot of links to instructions for Windows Network Installation -http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html

:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds