disk read error (on good drive)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tabby M., Feb 9, 2006.

1. Tabby M.

Tabby M. Private E-2

hi all, I have a computer I had built in late 2004, it has a AMD something or other, 2200 but runs at 1800, 512 K, was running great when all of a sudden it did a light blue screen with black-letters 'memory dump'. I tried to re-install Windows XP Home to possibly repair, but it did a lot of weird things and finally I just re-formatted the hard drive and re-installed Windows XP Home and it was all fine for three whole days.

Then all of sudden when I turned it on one morning, it said (after the black boot-up screens) "a disk read error ocurred -- press control-alt-delete " and when I do that, same thing happens over and over. Goes through the black screen ok (which shows hard drive status is good) and then never makes it to Windows log in screen, just says that same 'disc read error'.

I don't have the foggiest notion what to do. It was all working fine before this. I checked for a forgotten disk in the CD tray--- there was none, no flash memory drives accidentally left plugged in, no cards in the reader.
    Any ideas? Tabby:confused:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds