Networking upstairs PC to downstairs router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by odysseus, Feb 9, 2006.

1. odysseus

odysseus Private E-2

Can anyone please give me advice before i go and purchase a wireless network card. I want to set up a home network connecting a bedroom pc with my desktop pc downstairs. However, i have heard that a wireless connection is quite poor when linking pc's on different levels.

I have a Netgear DG384G wireless router downstairs which is hard-wired to my desktop and have ADSL broadband, i run windows xp pro on both machines.

Is a USB wireless connection or a PCI wireless connection better? Could you hard wire the upstairs PC to the router or would the cable be too long? Would i need to buy the same make wireless connector as my router or not?

Then finally what would be the easiest way to set this up and configure?

Thank you all for any replys it is greatly appreciated.

Odysseus

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Give it a try at best you would be happy, al worse you can return the Card or take small $$$ lose.

Which type of Card see here, http://www.ezlan.net/faq#wcard

:)

3. KOB0724

KOB0724 Private First Class

Deffinently go with a PCI card if possible. When USB was designed, i wasn't intended to be used for a network connection. The only time I would suggest buying a USB wireless adapter is if you had two computers and you wanted to switch back and for between them with the internet connection. Don't forget to make sure you have a WEP key set up on that wireless router of yours.

4. Dylan McG

Dylan McG Private E-2

300 ft Is around the distance you start losing speed. I have my whole house hard wired and I never have any problems. I personally wouldn't use wireless anything I prefer the reliabilty and security of Wired.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds