CDRW door stuck in open/close loop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lewg2, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Lewg2

Lewg2 Private E-2

Hi there,
    Thanks for reading. I have a 4 yr old ACER cdrw 24x10x40 drive which doesn't open.
    When I press the open button, it flips the door open, starts to push the tray out (about .5 inch) but then it goes back in and the door snaps shut. It repeats three times and then stays closed.

There are no conflicts in Device Manager. The BIOS sees the drive and autodetects it too. Is it simply time to get a new one?

Thanks again,
    Bob

2. MrsHamill

MrsHamill Private E-2

Yeah, that's a hardware issue. I've only seen one of those successfully fixed out of the many I've seen broken. I think it's time to get a new cup holder. :)

Sorry, but at least they're cheap! Make sure you check out newegg.com for good prices.

3. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi,

If you unplug the drive's data cable and it still does it you have proven that the problem is the drive.

Jim

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

jlphlp, don't encourage the spammer. This thread is more than 6 years old.

5. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Plodr,

Oops! Thanks! Never noticed the date. How did it get moved up the list?

6. plodr

A spam post was added to the thread. The spam post has now been removed.
    If you see a link in a post by a 1st time poster, chances are good it is a spammer.

7. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Again Plodr,

Thanks again. I assumed that if they were near the head of the list that they were current. My one good eye will be used on all post dates from now on.

Thanks again,

Jim

8. plodr

I have two good eyes but sometimes, one wonders if I have both closed while I read! ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds