Registry S/W rant

Discussion in 'Software' started by morlok, Oct 27, 2002.

1. morlok

morlok Private E-2

Time for a general rant on one of my favorite subjects: The Registry

Registry tools.
    I was doing the usual rainy saturday maintenance, including cleaning the registry, and came to the realization that:
    1) the registry sucks.
    2) why do I have 5 iferent programs to do registry maintenence?

Right now, I have to run:
    System Mechanic (registry cleaner section)
    RegVAc
    RegClean (MS version)
    Reg1stAid
    RegHealer
    OleCLeaner
    In addition, I've tried about a dozen others.
    Each one seems to find its one little bit of the registry to clean, for instance Reg1stAid seems to find dozens of invalid file references that Sys Mechanic or RegVAc don't, RegHealer finds empty keys, and OleCleaner finds bad ProcIDs.
    The problem is, none of them finds all of the junk and or problems in the registry, it's a chore to run all of them, then save tehm in case of disaster.
    In addition, none of them seems to find all empty keys, because a after a fresh install of Windoze, it'll have < 20K registry entries, and that will quickly grow to (presently ~26K) as I use and install/remove S/W.
    in addition, reviewing the outpurt of several ofg the programs shows that each finds a different set of file references or keys or (whatever) to clean out. It is necessary to run severl different program, each which has a different idea of what's bad in teh registry, to get what I assuem to be incomplete results.
    In addition, if I run the various registry cleaners consecutively, they will find additional entrues to delete.
    IE:
    ReGVac will find n bad entries
    RegClean will find y bad entries
    RegVac (pass 2) will find more bad entries
    etc, etc.

The thing is (are you listening Shareware developers out there), I only presently have paid for SystemMechanic, because it's a lot more than a partially effective registry cleaner tool.
    I can't see paying for a piece of S/W that does a small part of the job.

Now, each and every one of these programs advertises themselves as as complete and effective registry cleaner. They sure dont' seem to be, as they do only a small part of the job.

My question is:
    Is there a 'one-stop-shopping' registry cleaner out there?

2. twinny

twinny Sgt. Spam

just use...APK registry cleaner...it will do it all, and you can get here at majorgeeks.Look in the download section.

3. Rumple

Rumple Numbnuts

4. twinny

twinny Sgt. Spam

pppppppffffffffftttttttttttttttttttttttt:D

5. Rumple

Rumple Numbnuts

hey how did you sneak in.....:D

6. twinny

twinny Sgt. Spam

hehehehe, ill just keep him in liquid nourishment at the next fest....:D

7. morlok

morlok Private E-2

I have.... twice. I even D/Led a new release that saw go by.
    It spends large amounts of time putting up a very confusing display that has 5 fields that flash at you while its working.
    After all the screen flashing and updates are done, it does little that the others do.

Funny thing is, Sys Mechanic, which has its registry cleaner as part of a broader range of tools, does just as good a job as any of the others. Best investment I ever made.
    I really can't see paying for a supposedly specialized too l that doesn't get me anything that a sub-function of a broader, very useful tool, gets me.

regards,

8. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

A link for your debate :

http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/registry_test.shtml

Have fun

P.S. Ever since I got my registry murdered by a registry cleaner then I haven't touched another one since :)

*Update* Changed the link to point to the original source of the article. The test is made by the programmers of the Jv16 tools so it is rather biased.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2002
  9. twinny

twinny Sgt. Spam

APK registry cleaner was written by a member of this board..Alec§taar.....if you have any questions, i would suggest you pm him, as the reg cleaner he wrote is by far better than anything out there, it takes some times to run it, depending on the size of your drive and programs, but it will find them all....his program was not evaluated at that web site.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds