How To Enable Synaptic Mouse with Firefox?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 20Valve, Feb 9, 2006.

1. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

I have Gateway Laptop. I installed Firefox and I cannot seem to get the synaptic pointing device working properly within the browser. Specifically, the scroll mechanism will not work.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Which Synaptic driver version and firefox version are you using?

Both up/down left/right pad scroll work for me with FF 1.5.0.1 and Synaptic version 8.1.2

latest Synaptic driver available here http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4913

3. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

Halo -

Thanks for the reply. I am running what I think if the most current version of Firefox 1.5.0.1. It might be 1.8.0.1 - The about window kinda lists two different versions. However, the udater tells me I am current. The Synaptics version is V5.9.

It seems the version you directed me to is an updated version. I read the install instructions and I am a bit confused. Can I just install the new driver over the old one with no worries?

In Firefox, the pionter works fine. As do the buttons. However, the scrolling device (don't the technical term) does not. When I use it, the small scroll icon appears but it will not function.

So, can I install those drivers over the old ones?

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Yes you can just install over the previous version driver as the installer updates the driver files, I did this update on my laptop the other day and the mouse pad still works fine ( at least if not you can plug a USB mouse in an roll back the driver via Device Manager ) stable driver, the previous version driver I had also worked in FF as regards to scroll and its version was 8.0.6.

on some further reading I have read that Gateways may or may not have issue with the latest drivers, so worth backing up any important info beforehand.

5. peterpan8

peterpan8 Private E-2

My synaptics touchpad occasionally loses the scrolling ability in IE after I change any setting on my USB TV tuner. I can restore the functionality by clicking on the "Synaptics Pointing Device" icon in the taskbar, then clicking anywhere on the webpage I'm viewing. I know it's not a permanent fix, and I'd be interested to know what causes it, but see if that works.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds