Hooking up 3 Routers to 1 hub

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Modtechs, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Modtechs

Modtechs Private E-2

I know this sounds weird, yet I have a buddy who is attempting to connect 3 routers to a hub, because he has 3 seperate IPs for all the computers in various spots in his house. Unfortunately, it does not seem to be functioning. I have told him to try to plug in to the 1st port on the router(s) from the hub, yet there is still no internet connection. Woud appreciate the help.
    All 3 are linksys
    (1) WRT54G
    (2) WTP300 (VIOP Routers for Vonage)
    I know that we are missing one step to get em fired up.

Thanks in advanced.

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Every computer must have its own IP.

Router is a device to Route between Networks. One network One Router. It is Routing between the LAN (Local Network) and the Internet (International Network).

If want to use the other Routers, they have to be connected as dumb switches, or as a switch with an Access Point (if it is Wireless).

Here is how, Using a Wireless Cable/DSL Router as a Switch with an Access Point]

:D

3. Modtechs

Modtechs Private E-2

Thank you for your reply, yet I don't think you totally understood whathe is trying to do. We understand the basic function of a router. What he is attempting to do is connect 3 routers to a hub, that connects to a cable modem. He has 3 IPs, from the cable company, so he can assign the IPs to the hub. Now he needs to distribute them to the computers. There is approximately 6 computers in the house. 3 in one office and then the others in seperate rooms. 1 of the routers is wirelss, so he should be able to make it an access point, yet the issue will no be the wired routers. Why he wants to use a router in a room that has one computer is beyound me. I am just trying to help a friend out to understand this, as he is not able to load up this site (not sure why not).
    Again, I thank you for your answers.

4. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

It seems unlikley that he is receiving 3 IP address's from his cable company, at least not thru a single modem, and I don't know how the IP could be Assigned to a Hub. I think perhaps his terminology is in error and he has 1 route connected to a cable modem and wants to put a switch or hub in each of the rooms that he has computers in so 1 cat5 cable to the room can supply broadband to many computers. I can't understand what else he is trying to accomplish.

5. PROHOST

PROHOST Private E-2

First, we have gotten past the dialup days where you could only get one IP... Technology has advanced to the point that I can receive as many IP's as my ISP wants to give me. At the moment, I have 3 internet IP's...

Now, for clarity, my setup is this...

cable modem to hub. From hub to 3 different routers. Each router under this configuration has it's OWN internet IP provided by my ISP through my SINGLE cable modem.

What I want to do is to be able to network with computers located on other routers in my house.

The reason for having 3 seperate routers and internet IP's are not relivent to what I want to do.

Thank you for your time. If anyone has any ideas, please be detailed.

Chip

6. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

If you would tell us (the big secret), what you want to do may be some one can come up wit the best solution.

However, with Entry level Hardware and client OS you cannot Route more than one time on one cohesive Network.

If you managed to put the three computers on the same Network, insert a second NIC in one of them and Bridge to the other Network (Only Win XP Pro).. http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/wxpbrdge.html

Otherwise, put a second NIC in each of the three and connect it to the other Network.
    You will be able to share between all computers but the Internet connections would stay separate.

May be help, Combining two Internet Connections - Combining Bandwidth, or and Load Balancing of two Internet connections.

:)

7. PROHOST

PROHOST Private E-2

The main reason for needing more than one IP and router is that I need the same ports open for multiple PC's. The main reason is for Direct X gaming that does not allow multiple connections from a single IP.

Router one is used for all wireless connections (2), my personal PC, and a PC used for internet radio broadcasting.

Router two is my Vonage router being used for my VoIP and also has my wife's PC.

Router three is another Vonage router in my roommate's room and he also works on computers and uses the router to connect to the net without disconnecting himself.

Router 1 is a Linksys WRT54G running HyperWRT firmware
    Router 2 and 3 are both stock Linksys RTP300's

K, the big secret is out :)

Chip

8. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

With Entry Level Hardware, that is the only solution.

Put a second NIC (about $5 each) in each of the three and connect it to an Independent Switch (about $10).

Configure it as a LAN and bind its TCP/IP to File sharing.

You will be able to share Files and printers between all computers but the Internet connections would stay separate, s the same port can be open on each computer.

:D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds