L.A.N Using cross over ethernet cable!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tom_pask, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Tom_pask

Tom_pask Private E-2

I have managed to connect the two computer 2getha and i am able to shre files and printers but i am not bale to share internet conection. i have set the computer with the internet connection to allow other computers in the network to shre the connection and have set the other computer to connect to the internet through that machine. does any one now were ive gone wrong?

if it helps to now im using aol!

Thanks!
    Tom

2. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

What type of internet connection? Cable, DSL, Dialup?

If cable or DSL, is it connected by USB?

3. Tom_pask

Tom_pask Private E-2

its dsl yes

it is connected to the main computer by usb

4. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I wouldn't recommend shareing that way. The best way to run 2 computers from a single DSL connection is to use a router. The router provides a hardware firewall that helps protects your network from intruders. If you share your connection and do files shareing without a hardware firewall you open your computers to the internet and hackers. Also with the DSL you should run software firewalls on each machine.

Routers can be picked up on eBay for less that $20. My personal preference is for Linksys.

5. Tom_pask

Tom_pask Private E-2

i now that is the best way! but at the moment i have no money and have 2 make do with wot i have! so i was just wondering how to do it coz i now ti can be done!

6. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

For security reasons I've never done it so I'm sorry but I can't help here.

7. dedub

dedub Corporal

I have done this a few times and it is not fun. My recommendation is to manually set everything! Give each Nic card a 192.168.0.x with a subnet of 255.255.255.0. Make sure that the computer you want on the internet has its gateway IP of the computer with the USB connection(MOST IMPORTANT THING). If you have not yet, go through the wizard. It makes some registry changes that are necessary for the whole thing to work (If your on XP that is). Also, make sure you do not have any firewalls that could be blocking it. And dont get hung up on AOL. You may need it to get the first computer up but on the other, you can just launch a browser like IE or FF and surf away.

8. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds