Display problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ballardp, Feb 11, 2006.

1. ballardp

ballardp Private E-2

Recently experienced poor display properties best described as ghost-like or shadow images of text lines and windows borders that stretch across entire screen. Thought I had a monitor problem so bought a new one and still have the problem. Also downloaded new drivers for video card...still have the problem. Colors are a little funky too. I thought I used to have 256 millions of colors setting on display properties but it isn't there now. Text and pages are readable just can't get rid of translucent gray shadowy bands that run across the screen. Here's my sys info:

Computer
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
    Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180

Motherboard
    CPU Type Intel Pentium IIIE, 933 MHz (7 x 133)
    Motherboard Name Intel Easton D815EEA (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM, Audio, Video)
    Motherboard Chipset Intel Solano i815E
    System Memory 384 MB (SDRAM)
    BIOS Type AMI (11/28/00)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display
    Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (32 MB)
    3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
    Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (0)

Multimedia
    Audio Adapter Creative SB PCI128 (Ensoniq ES1371) Sound Card

Storage
    Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
    Disk Drive ST320413A (20 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
    Optical Drive _NEC DV-5800A (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
    Optical Drive SONY CD-RW CRX160E (12x/8x/32x CD-RW)

Partitions
    C: (FAT32) 19083 MB (6126 MB free)

Peripherals
    Printer EPSON Stylus CX5400
    USB Device EPSON Scanner
    USB Device USB Composite Device
    USB Device USB Printing Support

Had this PC for 4 years and no issues. Upgraded to XP over a month ago with no issues. Anyone had this problem before? Is my video card shot or the fan going bad? Appreciate any help I can get.

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Possible bad cable for the monitor would be a starting guess.

3. ballardp

ballardp Private E-2

Can't be that because I used the new cable that came with the new monitor I bought today...keep 'em coming...thanks. (My gut is telling me I'm going to end up needing a new video card) Changing refresh rate doesn't seem to help either.

4. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I sounds like it could be a video card problem. You could try reseating the card.

5. ballardp

ballardp Private E-2

Haven't tried that yet...don't see why it would be that all of a sudden when it is the original card for the last 4 years but at this point, I'll try anything.

6. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

Heat is usually what kills a a video card. They do sometimes just go bad, maybe from power problems, heat, humidity, etc.
    The video card is controlled by the main processor but it has it's own processor for making the video so when that processor fails so does the picture you see.

7. ballardp

ballardp Private E-2

Tried re-seating card with no change. I think it is time to get a new videocard. Have the same issue in Safe Mode as well.

8. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

I think your gut is pretty smart because that could be the problem, if that doesn't fix it just make sure you buy at a place that will let you return for $$$

9. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

forunately you have an AGP slot, I would reccomend a cheap 5 series card like the 5200FX if you are not a gamer. if you are it is time for a new computer imho.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds