Bad Sectors, I guess

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jf38081, Feb 12, 2006.

1. jf38081

jf38081 Private E-2

-- Don't know if this should be on the hardware or software board

Does anyone know how to fix bad sectors? I was trying to backup my harddrive using Ghost 9.0 and True Image 8.0 and both give me a bad sector error.

This is a dell dimension 3000 running xp pro. I have the operating system installed onto a internal ide, partitioned into 2 drives, c: and f: I backup to a usb hard drive - g:

I do not have a current backup image. I formatted the external because I thought that maybe it was causing the problems.

I tried to uninstall and then reinstall Ghost, but the same thing keeps happening.

I have attached screenshots from both applications containing the errors.

The only other thing I can think of, is that I believe this started after I deleted the asp.net user from control panel -> users

I reinstalled asp.net and replaced the asp.net user, but am still getting the errors.

I have also tried a defrag and that too did not help.

Anybody have any other idears? This is a learning opportunity for me, and everyone else, too.

Here is a screenshot of the ghost error:
    http://www.jimscomputerfix.com/ghost_error.jpg

Here is a screenshot of the true image error
    http://www.jimscomputerfix.com/ti_error.jpg

Thanks,
    Jim

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Open My Computer, right click on the drive, in the box that pops up click on properties. Another box will pop up - click on the tools tab. There is an option to check the disk for errors. Click on it, and you will be presented with two options. The one that you want will be apparent. Hope this helps!:)

3. jf38081

jf38081 Private E-2

I see what you are refering to. Actually I fixed the problem before I saw your response. At someones suggestion, I did a chkdsk /R c: and it ran and boot time and cleaned up the bad sectors. Thanks for the tip. I will try it next time.
    J

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds