Trouble getting USB Flash Drive to work with Windows 95

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cool Onion, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Cool Onion

Cool Onion Private E-2

I've got a PNY Attaché 256 MB USB Flash drive and I want to transfer files from this computer, which recognizes it fine, to my old IBM Aptiva running Windows 95. The computer has USB ports, but doesn't seem to recognize the drive when I plug it in. Are there any changes I need to make or drivers I need to install to make this work?

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You aren't going to find any USB flash drive drivers for 95.

3. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Windows 95 doesn't fully support USB.

Unless the flash drive manufacturer supplies drivers for 95, which I doubt, you can forget it.

4. EADGBE

EADGBE Private E-2

Everyone is right, it ain't gonna work. I spent a whole afternoon trying to get my flash drive to work with win98, but it only supports win98SE.

The best thing to do is get a ZIP drive, which will hold at least 100MB and will work at least all the way back to Windows 3.11.

Alternatively, you can take the hard drive from the old computer and put it in the new one, transfer the files, then put it back.

I took all the good stuff from my old 486 and PII and burned it on a cd with my new computer. Now that it's on a CD, it should theoretically last forever, which you can't say about a hard drive.

5. Brian C

Brian C Private Peanut Gallery

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds