Belkin wireless router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cher_hc_43, Feb 14, 2006.

1. cher_hc_43

cher_hc_43 Private First Class

I have recently installed a belkin wireless router and have 2 other computers with a wireless card installed (trendnet wireless cards) well when I brought the other computers home from the shop, they loaded the cards in the puters and did other work, well I can't get them to recognize the wireless router, in the desktop under the device manager there is a yellow exclamation point next to the wireless card that was installed, what does that mean? and as far as the laptop goes, under network in the control panel I was told that the wireless card in binding and that is why it cant be recognized, what in the heck does that mean and how can I fix trhe problem?
    these are both operating on windows 98 SE

thanks
    cheryl

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Well firstly the yellow question mark either means the device isn't working or the driver isn't working or it's just not set uo properly which is the most likely.

But from the rest of what you say I'd suggest that the correct protocols haven't been set up for the network cards.

You'll need to have the TCP/IP protocol set up for the card. This is done via the Neighborhood Network icon which should be on your desktop. Right click on it and the click on Properties to bring up the configuration tabs.

Bindings etc are set up in here but as I'm not sure exactly how well you know your way around these places I'll hold off going into too much detail at the moment.

This may have been better posted in the Networking forum by the way but I'm sure an administrator will move this if they deem it necessary. :)

3. silverman

silverman Private E-2

When installing network cards make sure you should use the software and drivers bundled with them to install them.

Make sure your systems meet the required specifications for the cards, and that the wireless network modes are compatible, i.e. that if cards are 802.11g then the router supports 802.11g mode network cards.

I'm sure you've done all this and that I'm am patronising you in stating this. just making sure though.

Try reinstalling your card on your desktop maybe?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds