please help!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jazagod, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Jazagod

Jazagod Command Sergeant Major

I set up my bosses new computer today and everything went well except one thing. Seems to get on line I have to click a shortcut to network propertys, then click ie shortcut.
    i could understand if he was on dialup, but its highspeed. I have had the same connection in the past, and cable now, and internet connection is always just on, none of this click here and here stuff. did i miss something? i'm sure i must have, anyways, im hoping to go there tomorrow with a fix....any ideas?
    HE's running a Dell Celeron 2.53GHz with xp

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Hmmm.

I do not understand where you click on Network connection, if click on it just open a configuration Window, it does not start any thing.

As far as I know every one needs to click on the browser and open it otherwise No open Browser No see Internet.

:D

3. King

King Private E-2

Maybe there's a bridge involved, ala 'Network Wizard'? Hmm, prolly not.

Would opening properties wake the card up if power management had turned it off? hmm.

High-speed through AOL? ugh. Or some other PPoE type broadband?

Well, sorry Jaza, these are just ideas that might help Cat5e or others come up with other solutions. I've never heard of anything like this before either.

Good luck,

-K

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Check Network connections to see if there is a "Bridge" in Connections. Also what was the OP using before the network? If hooked to a ISP through the modem before the Router was installed, uninstall all ISP software, due to the Router is logging the person into the network now (Cable ISP uses MAC cloning, ADSL uses PPPoE).

5. missgracias

missgracias Private E-2

check your internet status on the network connection

6. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

I think it might be useful for Jazagod to tell us exactly what this "highspeed" connection consists of. Is is a LAN connection? Is it connected to a Cable/DSL Modem? Is it connected to a router?

If it is connected to a Modem, then you will need to dial up every time you want to use the internet, just the same as a traditional modem.

If it is a router, then it should connect automatically when you turn it on. You then have a LAN connection between your PC and the router, and the router will provide you with the Internet connection through that LAN.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds