Bugcode_USB_Driver

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ravenous, Feb 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravenous

Ravenous Private E-2

I've been having this problem for a while now and just can't seem to get it nailed down.

Everyone once in awhile, my laptop crashes to the blue screen o' death with the message "BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER"

I've researched this and from what I understand, it's from an over demand on the power for USB devices. (printers, scanners, modems, ect) Problems is, the only thing I generally have hooked up is this fancy Verizon Wireless card for broadband. This card is a PCMI card. My question is, does the PCMI slot feed power off the USB?

I have an HP zv6000, 3200+ AMD 64 w/ 1 gig of RAM, ATI 200M video.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Zip up and attach the last three dump files from C:\windows\minidump and attach them to a post.

3. Ravenous

Ravenous Private E-2

last 3 uploaded.

thx for the help

Attached Files:

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

The faulting file is usbohci.sys.

I've attached a new copy. Try replacing it from Safe Mode.

Attached Files:

5. Ravenous

Ravenous Private E-2

File swapped, thx for the advice.
    I'll report back in a few days if things are still good.

6. Ravenous

Ravenous Private E-2

Was fine for a couple of days, but 4 times tonight now.

7. Ravenous

Ravenous Private E-2

Looked in the device manager and it lists an "NEC PCI to Open Host Controller"

I'm guess that's the PCMI Wireless card I have from Verizon.
    Any suggestions?

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Unfortunately, no. Post some new minidumps, lets make sure its the same file.

9. Ravenous

Ravenous Private E-2

Has made any new mini dump files.

Do you think that something could corrupt the file?

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

No, sometimes the OS shuts down before they are created.

If no USB devices are being used, how about disabling those controllers in Device manager and testing it?

11. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

While you're in device manager, you can test to make sure that the drive is getting power, by opening properties for the root hub, and opening the power tab. Mine's got power properties, but your's might be different. If it's drawing power, it'll tell you. If there's nothing there, that might be the problem.

12. Ravenous

Ravenous Private E-2

Did it one more time last night and created a new minidump file.

Thx again for your help

Attached Files:

13. Ravenous

Ravenous Private E-2

Here's a screen shot of the USB devices in the device manager. I didn't see the power listed under properties, but I wasn't sure what I was looking for.

To give a little more info on when this happens, it's at random, but happens more when it's under high video demand. More frequent when I'm using AutoCad, Microstation or playing games, but will do it just going through Word, Excel, ect.

Attached Files:

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I just checked one, same culprit.

I think this is the screen Triaxx was talking about:

Attached Files:

• usb.jpg
      usb.jpg
      File size:
      22.4 KB
      Views:
  15. Ravenous

Ravenous Private E-2

I'll try replacing it agian. Do you think a virus, malware, ect could corrupt the file?

I found the same controler you show, I'm at 10%

16. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

No, I'm thinking its hardware related at this point.

Any idea what the chipset is in this laptop?

17. Ravenous

Ravenous Private E-2

AMD Athlon 64, ATI 200M video, 1 gig RAM. Model is HP zv6000
    Also noticed that I have a printer I cannot get rid. It's faded, unlike the rest.

18. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

No, this is what I meant:

[​IMG]

Look at the properties of the root hub. It should list the amount of power that's being drawn through each. I think, though I'm not sure, that there's one hub for each plug but I can't say for sure.

19. Ravenous

Ravenous Private E-2

Has anyone heard of a conflict between the Qualcom MSM6500 chipset that supports the EV-DO broadband for Verizon and Sprint and AMD processors?

20. Autoxmike

Autoxmike Private E-2

I am also having this very same problem. I have a Gateway with this same chipset, and recently added a Sprint EVDO Aircard. Did you ever figure out your Bluescreen problem?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds