Wired Network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eXtenzz, Feb 16, 2006.

1. eXtenzz

eXtenzz Private E-2

I cant get Network SetUp wizard put up the MS Network on my desktop PC.I was able to do so on my laptop, but not on the desktop. Laptop and desktop are both XP SP2, are both able to connect on the web thru a D-Link DI-704P router on a WiFi DSL connection. I setup on both the same account with the same password as instructed in another thread, but I'm not even able to see the LAN on the desktop, on which I made the main install, I booted the laptop AFTER setting up the WAN connection on the desktop.
    I didn't wanted to hijack somebody else's threat, thats why I started my own thread.

2. Fertyop

Fertyop Corporal

You can access the network from the start menu by clicking on "My Network Places" in the main start menu. Just right click and send to desktop to create a shortcut. And make sure you have whatever you want shared, had it's properties changed so it's shared.

3. eXtenzz

eXtenzz Private E-2

Thats exactly the problem: on the desktop PC, I don't have "My Network Places", despite I tried to create one with the wizzard. On the laptop I do have "My Network Places", in which I find back the laptop's side of the LAN, but I don't see the Desktop's side of the LAN. I know this is weird, I'm trying to figure this out for 36 hours now, having no clue what or where...
    Thanks for trying to help me tho.

4. eXtenzz

eXtenzz Private E-2

I finally figured out why "My Network Places" did not appear in my "start" screen.
    The culpritt was Norton. Norton SystemWorks has a tweaking module. Months ago I did some tweaking, and one of the things I changed was to hide said "My Network Places". To be sure that all unpleasent tweaks are gone, I installed an all new Win Xp on the desktop and I'm still in the process to install the applications. And yups, "My Network Places" is there. RIP Norton, renewal was due very soon anyway. Norton will be replaced with Firewall and AV which are not such resource hogs alike Norton.
    I stll can't communicate between both PC's yet. Lol, I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong at that stage.

5. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

If you have the same user name and password on both computers and properly configured shares, they should communicate. If you have different user names and passwords then you need to create the user/password for each computer on the other computer. Also make sure you are allowing access in your firewall.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds