running programs on another computer on network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by burnandreturn, Feb 16, 2006.

1. burnandreturn

burnandreturn Private E-2

Is there a way on just a two computer network connected to the internet via DSK and a hub for one computer to run programs that reside on the other computer. I know about PC Anywhere, but was hoping there was a simpler way.

2. King

King Private E-2

WinXP Pro has Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) built-in. But in order for someone at PC1 to run an app on PC2, PC2 will need to be logged-out at the console (eg, noone can use PC2 while you RDC to it).

1. Rt-click 'My Computer'
    2. Click 'Properties'
    3. Click 'Remote' tab
    4. Check the 'Allow users to connect remotely to this computer' box
    5. Make sure your user on PC2 has a password (required)
    6. Go to PC1 and go Start-Programs->Accessories->Communication->Remote Desktop Connection
    7. Enter the name of the PC2 (or IP) and click 'Connect'

If you don't have WinXPpro, try RealVNC. Similar to PCAW, but free.

Good luck,

-K

3. burnandreturn

burnandreturn Private E-2

Thanks for the reply. we run xp home so right now I use PC Anywhere.

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

This progarm is similar to pcAny,it is free small easy to use and works better.

http://www.ezlan.net/vnc.html

Takes only 10 minutes to set it up, give it a try you can leave pcAny as is and try the UlraVNC as well.

:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds