Help me please don't know what is wrong:(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wildhorses, Mar 7, 2006.

1. wildhorses

wildhorses Private First Class

I hope I am in the right forum if not please redirect me..........I was working on my computer about 1 hour ago and the memory said I had 63% free memory.And Now I had to close all of my windows and it tell me that I have 7 % momory left please can someone tell me what is going on here? I don't know anything about computers so please explain in simple terms thank you:) Wildhorses:confused: :eek:

2. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

This is not a big issue, it sounds liek you opened internet explorer 6 times, yous eem like the ype that clicks things too muchb judging by the double post:p just restart your computer and that should free up the wasted memory, if it is still low you could have somethign runnign in teh background that is causing problems. what are your specs anyway? if you only have 256mb of RAM that could be the problem.I ahve had problems before where I close a program and it keeps running, not sure why, probably a windows error.

3. wildhorses

yes that is right I only have 256 mb of ram is there any way i may be able to free some more ram?? please let me know and thanks for the quick response:)

4. splitt3r

what type of com puter do you have? liek what brand/model # there are ways to free up RAM, what kind of programs do you have running in teh background, virus scanners/firewalls/? If you have an open slot I would reccomend upgrading to at least 512mb, RAM is cheap and a very effective upgrade.

5. wildhorses

I am running a dell Optiplex GX1 I hope this answers your question:)
    I have AVG, Ad Aware se,zone alarm,critaical updates and I also downloaded alot of the other scanners but they sit there doing nothing untill I press the button to start them up:)how do I know if it has a slot and should a person as myself put one in or should i go to the pros for this?

6. splitt3r

I looked up that computer, are you sure that is your model #? when did you buy it anyway? It's just that it is a pretty old system and uses 168-pin DIMM modules. now taht I know that i assume you aren't running windows XP? what oeprating system are you running. depending on what you use that computer for it might be a good diea to consider a new copmputer. I don't think tahtc omputer will support more RAM, maybe 1 more stick of 256, if you do want to isntall RAM it really doesn't take a pro to do it, just touch the power supply to ground yourself and push it into the RAM slot until it snaps into place.

edit: those are all good virus scanners you have, not too resoursce hungry, if youw ant to knwo how many RAM slots you ahve free youc an open the case and look or downlaod everest home editionf rom this site and it will tell you.

7. wildhorses

can you please send me a link to get the download for everest home edition please and thank you so much:)

8. splitt3r

9. wildhorses

this was highlighted in the everest scan
    cpu-185.ns
    cpu clock-400 MHz
    motherboard- dell OptiPlex GX1 400M+
    chipset-i440BX/ZX
    memory PC 100 SDRAM
    CL-RCDRP-RAS- 3-3-3-?
    Can you please translate for me?
    and where exactly would I find out if there is enough room for more ram??
    Thanks again:)

10. splitt3r

I have looked it up and your computer has 3 slots with a maximum of 756mb of RAM so go to motherboard>SPD and at the top it will show you each stick of RAM in your computer like

DIMM1:128mb Kingston23445352353
    DIMM2:128mb corsair#@!$#$34423

If you got something like that then you must have a 3rd slot free and you could add 1 stick of 256mb to make 512mb

if you do have a free spot you need this, unforutunately it is a bit more expensive then most RAM because it is old tech.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146003

11. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

More memory is always a good thing,but if your just worried about how low your memory is and there are no performance symptoms dont! windows will free up the memroy if it needs it,its windows's job to use all the memory it has available to it

check this article out,especially the paragraph entitled Clearing off the table ;)

http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=71

12. wildhorses

please translate there was a typing error
    cpu-185.9ns PII
    cpu clock-400MHz
    mother board-Dell OptiPLex GX1 400 M+
    chip set i440BGX/ZX
    memory PC 100SDRAM
    CL-RCD-RP-RAS- 3-2-2-? please can you translate this for me,Thank you!

13. acejones

acejones A Different Title

cpu-185.9ns PII <-- processor type
    cpu clock-400MHz <-- processor speed
    mother board-Dell OptiPLex GX1 400 M+ <-- computer make and model
    chip set i440BGX/ZX <-- chipset type
    memory PC 100SDRAM <-- memory type
    CL-RCD-RP-RAS- 3-2-2- <-- memory timings

14. wildhorses

Hi,
    Now to answer your question Splitte3r: each stick of ram in my system is
    DIMM2:128 MB PC 133 SDRAM
    DIMM3:Gold star GMM26416233ENTG-7J
    Please tell me can I get more ram or is there more to it??please let me know:)

15. splitt3r

You have 1 open slot, so you can use what i mentioned above.

16. wildhorses

so can I get one more stick of ram a 256 mb and that will work and you said it is very simple to put it in ? you really don't think I would need a pro to do this??

17. wildhorses

and that should give me512 mb of ram??

18. acejones

acejones A Different Title

you already have one stick of 256mb. if you add another stick of 256mb in the open slot, it will give you 512mb. the ram slots are keyed, so you can't install it wrong. no pro needed.

19. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

here you will find instructions and diagrams for installing memory to your PC, as acejones said above its fairly easy to do yourself, just take a few precautions... ground yourself ( touch the metal parts of the case or buy an antistatic wrist strip ) only hold the memory modules by the edges.

Guides for the GX1 plus installing memory

all support options For the Dell GX1

also as asked earlier which Windows version are you using as we may have some tips to speed it up?

20. wildhorses

I am using windows 98 se.....thanks for all the help any more tips i am waiting with anticipation:)

21. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

22. tim13

tim13 Private E-2

zone alarm is a resource hog
    maby thats your prob. i had it on my pc and it came to a halt:eek:

23. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Beefy

Did you look at the date of the last post on this thread, tim13? It's six months old. You didn't need to reply.

24. tim13

tim13 Private E-2

oops:eek: i'm new here

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds