UT 2003 - Help!!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Geeza, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Geeza

Geeza Private E-2

Upon a clean installation of UT 2003, I get the following error message; note I have the latest drivers for Mobo, ATI 8500 Card, etc. Have tried the patches for the game also.

UT2003 Build UT2003_Build_[2002-10-28_01.28]

CPU: AuthenticAMD PentiumPro-class processor @ 1617 MHz with 511MB RAM
    Video: RADEON 8500/RADEON 8500LE (6166)

Error setting display mode: CheckDepthStencilMatch failed. (D3D_OK). Please delete your UT2003.ini file if this error prevents you from starting the game.

History: UD3DRenderDevice::UnSetRes <- DetermineFormats <- SetupPresentParms <- UD3DRenderDevice::SetRes <- UWindowsViewport::TryRenderDevice <- UWindowsViewport::OpenWindow <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine

Please can someone help - I desperately need to Frag!!

Thanx

Geeza

2. ICeMaN

ICeMaN Master Sergeant

Make absolutely sure you have the latest Catalyst drivers for your Radeon... and then make sure you have DirectX 8.1B installed. It's supposed to come with the service pack, but it's also on the game cd. If that fails, open up your UT2003.ini file and change this:

[Engine.Engine]
    RenderDevice=D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice
    ;RenderDevice=Engine.NullRenderDevice
    ;RenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice

to this:

[Engine.Engine]
    ;RenderDevice=D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice
    ;RenderDevice=Engine.NullRenderDevice
    RenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice

That will set the default render process from D3D to OpenGL..

3. Geeza

Geeza Private E-2

Unreal 2003

Thanks Iceman - I found that solution on another forum, but I have had to leave as follows otherwise screen just freezes upon booting game;

[Engine.Engine]
    ;RenderDevice=D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice
    RenderDevice=Engine.NullRenderDevice
    RenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice

I have set the game to run in 1024 x 668 - it freezes after playing for a while every time, any resolution. Any idea why? It shouldn't be taxing the CPU/GPU that much! I have also had to set sound to software generate even though I have Soundblaster Audigy - the sound just stops/starts,crackles.

I think my problems started after I installed XP service pack 1...

Regards
    Geeza

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

when your game freezes, does the sound start looping?

5. Geeza

Geeza Private E-2

Unreal 2003

Kodo
    The sound doesn't loop, it cuts in and out as if being switched on and off - it does it for any sound selection I choose.

Do you know how to resolve or are you experiencing similar probs?

Regards
    Geeza

6. ValY2J

ValY2J Guest

sometimes after like a half an hour of play my comptuer locks up, could it be my processor, p4, or my graphics card, radeon 9700 pro?

7. ICeMaN

ICeMaN Master Sergeant

Depends on your system specs. This game wants at least half a gig of ram... more if you can get it in there. Then there's swapping... I'd set up at least a 2GB swapfile if you don't have much system memory or the means to get it anytime soon. Your video card should be able to handle all of the detail setting cranked and display at a respectable resolution/frame rate proportion... but then again that video card is also highly CPU/RAM bandwidth dependant. The faster your core parts, the greater performance you're going to get.

8. Geeza

Geeza Private E-2

Unreal Tournament

Problem solved!
    I have re-installed Windows XP from my recovery disk and BINGO! UT2K3 is working ok. Windows Service Pack 1 is the most likely culprit. My demo stopped working first of all and it was around the time I downloaded the service pack.

No more Open GL crashes - whoopee!!!

Thanks for your help Iceman - appreciated nontheless.

Regards
    Geeza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds