Linux dedicated firewall

Discussion in 'Software' started by ChrisC, Nov 1, 2002.

1. ChrisC

ChrisC Private First Class

I now have a space PC lying around (a 266mhz celery, 64mb RAM, 3gb HDD), and I want to set it up as the firewall. I dont have a router/hub, so I am assuming I hook it up to the cable modem, then network it with the XP machine, which is networked with win 98 machine.

I need a good Linux firewall, as I dont really know where to start.

Any help/suggestions would be helpful.

Yes, I do have the required # of ethernet cards and crossover cable.

2. Cretin!

Cretin! Private E-2

Mandrake Firewall

Mandrake Single Netwrok Firewall is free

Mandrake Single Network Firewall

It has a really slick graphical interface and is easy to use. It also has a small webserver built in for LAN side configuration of the firewall from other machines on the LAN.

The following link lists several floppy based firewall programs.
    Floppy Firewalls

Linux Router Project

I have used freeSCO, and Clark Connect but they were not as easy to use as Mandrake SNF. If you are a Linux guru go for one of the floppy distros and you wont even have to install a hard drive in that machine

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds