XP file transfer and printing SLOW when networked with Win98

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by natv, Nov 2, 2002.

1. natv

natv Private E-2

Hi Everyone,

I just got a new laptop which runs Windows XP Professional.

My network is on a cable/DSL router. One computer runs Win2000 and one runs Win98se.

My old laptop ran Win2000 Professional. Everything was running great.

Now with XP Professional, file transfer between XP and the other computers is slow (although much better after some tweaking) but I still can't get the printing to speed up.

When I press CTRL-P, it takes about half a minute for the print dialogue box to pop up!

I know I'm not the only one with these problems, I've spent the last few days going through newsgroups and other discussion boards, but I've been finding more people complaining of the same problem than any fixes.

I did do the few tweaks I saw recommended (which I'll post if anyone requests) and it seemed to help the transfer rate (although it's still much slower than it should be) but the printing is just ridiculous!

Has anyone found any solution to these problems?

Thanks
    Nathalie

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Nathalie, there was a patch released (included in SP1) that resolved an issue when printing to some HP printers. The issue was that XP used 100% of the CPU. This MAY be your problem. Have you patched the OS?

3. natv

natv Private E-2

Hi,

Yes, I applied the SP1 yesterday. My printer is not an HP however... and the problem still exists after the patch.

I even installed the printer as a local printer too (even though I will not be using it directly connected to my laptop) and I think that may have helped a little, but still not to any acceptable level.

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

what kind of printer is it..

5. natv

natv Private E-2

Hi,

It's an Apple Laserwriter 360. Still have it from back in my mac days. It's a great printer.

No problems at all from my Win2000 Professional or Win98se computers. Only from the XP Professional when printing through the network.

Nathalie

6. ChViRuS

ChViRuS Private E-2

have you got the latest drivers for both operating systems?

7. plowboy

plowboy Private E-2

I have the same problem, Windows XP lat top, Windows 98SE, printer is a Lexmard Z43.
    This was my first network, so I thought this was normal..

Would you please post those "tweek links" so I can check my settings...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds