Worth salvaging?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ynhrgt, Mar 25, 2006.

1. ynhrgt

ynhrgt Private E-2

Well.. I've been using my current computer for .. I think roughly 4 years now. In that time I've upgraded it several times, just minor things here and there, I'm not too much of a gamer (anymore), and this computer is mainly used for web surfing, etc.

But lately, I think its time to put her out to greener pasture, but I have a bit of a dillemma. I'd rather not purchase a new computer quite yet, it's a HP Pavilion 8550C. Its got a SUPER fast 500MHZ Celeron cpu, 192mb of ram and I just recently bought an old ATI Stealth Radeon 7000 64MB DDR thinking it would speed things up but things are getting a little slow for my taste. Heh :p

I was just wondering if there is a way to overclock this CPU? I mean, I got nothing to lose, if it blows the CPU whatever, lol no big loss here. I currently run Windows XP Pro w/ SP2 on it and things run generally okay, not too slow but it gets painful sometimes.

Just wondering if theres anything I can do to speed her up a bit? If not, I'm just planning on buying a really high end system in the near future anyways.

2. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

I think it may be difficult or impossibelk to OC that cpu, but that is ACEs area and should rpoabbly be posted in the OC forum. It must be horrible runnig XP on that:eek: I would suggest saving for a new pc, if you need reccomendations just ask, I just bought a gaming PC so i am pretty up to date on what is the best hardware for your money.

3. ynhrgt

ynhrgt Private E-2

Oh I know, I've got several other computers in my house and they are all Pentium IV's. This one is the last of a dying breed here, I know it can't really be helped, I was just wondering if theres ANYTHING I could do to speed it up.

Windows XP isn't that bad, actually, it runs slow, but I can listen to itunes, surf the web and have several documents open, it will slow it down but not unbearable.. believe me, unbearable is a 33mhz 486 running Win98 hehe :p.

4. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

maybe you could turn it into a print server or something, I dunno.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds