Accessing BIOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RSR, Mar 25, 2006.

1. RSR

RSR Private E-2

When trying to run a Linux live CD on a friends Dell I discovered that the boot order isn't set with the cd player as the first device.

I had previously run the disc with no problems on my own machine.

Since Dell seems to provide very little documentation/user instructions I'm hoping someone here can help with the appropriate key(s) to open the bios setup before windows boots.

Dell apparently set the hard drive as the first boot device since they didn't ship it with any cds for repair/restoration, etc. All software was preinstalled.

If any Dell users have the answer, I'd be gratefull.

2. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

Try F2 at boot this should get ya to bios, on a dell dimension 2400 at least,

ashotinthedark

3. techmanq

techmanq Private E-2

Try the delete key.I had a Dell and that's how I got into the bios.

4. RSR

RSR Private E-2

Thanks guys, I'll pass along the info to my friend this evening, or more likely his kids, he can't do much more then turn the computer on himself.

5. Runner789

Runner789 Private E-2

Look on the screen. Usually lower right, and you will see something to the effect of F2, del, esc.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds