Win2003 and XP and shared file with a permission to one user

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zillah, Mar 25, 2006.

1. zillah

zillah Private E-2

I have got two PCs win2003 and XP,,,,,PCA and PCB (both PCs on my LAN through my linksys router WAG54G V2).
    I created a folder on PCA (win2003), called "My Stuff",,,I created many users on PCA (employees, jsmith, test1, test2), I enabled sharing for the folder "My Stuff", and I gave permission (read only) to the username "employees" only, I deleted the username "Everyone" which is by default there.

1- From PCB (XP) , I opened run, then I typed in : \\192.168.1.64-----for win2003

2- Screen poped up (first time), I typed in the username:jsmith (not employees), the password:newsletter.

3- I was able to see "My Stuff", since it is shared folder, but I could not access, since jsmith has not been given permission to access it (only username "employees" has been given permission to access it ).

4- After that (second time, third time,,,etc), when I try to type in: \\192.168.1.64, I will be forwarded to a window with "My Stuff" folder (PCB still remember the previous session for username "jsmith"), I was not able to type in the username: test1, password: forum (because I have not greeted with a pop up screen!!!!),,,,,,,,,,What should I configure to let the (PCB) provides me with the pop screen for the new username (employees) ?

5- When I tried to type in : \\192.168.1.64\My Stuff (when I typed in only \\192.168.1.64 no erro message),,,,,,I received this error message :

2. zillah

zillah Private E-2

I tried at work to redo the same scenario again with two PCs , my laptop (2003) and IBM Desktop (2003, not XP) (no domain they are stand alone PCs,,,they are on the same LAN with public ip addresses).
    from the Laptop I tried to access the Desktop , I received this erro message:
    Code:
    no network provider accepted the given network path

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

try opening the command prompt and typing net use. then post the results.

4. zillah

zillah Private E-2

I just booted the PCs at work and I have done these steps :

1- Ping to test connectivity

2- Start-->run-->Typed in: public ip address\My Stuff,,,,,,,I received the same message:
    Code:
    no network provider accepted the given network path

3- Start-->run-->cmd, then I typed in : "net use",,,,,,,,,,,message:
    Code:
    New connections will be remembered,
    There are no entries in the list.

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

Typically, if A share is established on ther server, then you should be able to to:

Click START, RUN, type in \\Server name.

Or START, Run, CMD

Net VIEW \\server name

Net VIEW will display all the shares that are available on the server.

I assume, this server (2k3) is AD?

If you want other's to access the server's share directories, then you need to create seperate user accounts, to access those shares.

6. zillah

zillah Private E-2

Thanks theefool
    No, it is not.

7. zillah

zillah Private E-2

Code:
    Click START, RUN, type in \\Server name.

Or START, Run, CMD

Net VIEW \\server name

Net VIEW will display all the shares that are available on the server.
    [\code]
    [quote]3- I was able to see "My Stuff", since it is shared folder, but I could not access, since jsmith has not been given permission to access it (only username "employees" has been given permission to access it ).[/quote]

I have got no problem with 
    [code]
    Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>net view '\\laptopDell

Shared resources at [URL="file://\\laptopDell"]\\laptopDell[/URL].

Share name Type Used as Comment
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Stuff Disk
    The command completed successfully.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds