POST Fails (RTC)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Luthair, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Luthair

Luthair Private E-2

I've run into a problem with an MSI MS-6309 (694T Pro). The system is running an unknown P3 (I can pull it to determine which if there is need) with 2x 128 PC133 and a TNT2 PCI graphics card.

I helped someone setup a new computer and was given their old one, unfortunately the BIOS was passworded and the person who set it passed away. Not having the manual I simply removed the battery for 5 minutes, once replaced the system will not POST. The board is equipped with a DLED bracket which hangs on Testing RTC (Real Time Clock), its an AMI BIOS and the beep sequence is a beep, a pause followed by two quick beeps another pause and a beep. (Nothing is displayed on screen)

I've tried:
    -switching both sticks of RAM one at a time in each of the slots
    -switching the PCI TNT2 for an AGP Geforce4
    -removed all peripherals (HD, FDD, NIC, Modem)
    -changed battery (not sure if it was a working one)
    -Reset CMOS via jumper

When both sticks of ram are removed the system won't post and gives a memory error, or if no graphics card is present a vga error

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

A combination of long and short BIOS beeps using an AMI BIOS is either a fault with RAM or Video.

If you are sure that both RAM sticks aren't fried then try a different video card.

Oh and welcome by the way! :)

3. Luthair

Luthair Private E-2

I just tried another different stick of RAM with no change.
    I've previously tried a different graphics card and that had no change.

The system was working fine until the battery was removed.

4. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

If it were me I'd now put the original battery back in, with the latest RAM stick you've just tried and a different video card. That will at least confirm whether the "new" battery you've put in hasn't itself got a fault.

5. Luthair

Luthair Private E-2

The original battery was already in it, after trying batteries from working systems I just put the original back in /shrug

6. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

But have you tried it with the new RAM and another video card?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds