bios upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by christopherjellybean, Mar 26, 2006.

1. ok here's a problem for all you old schoolers, i have a no-name computer I'm trying to get running for my daughters, the most o can say about it is that it's a biostar M6TWG? It works and all but i need to upgrade the bios to accept a 1GhZ cpu.Yes i know it's slow but compared to what it was....450 Mhz!!! it should move a little faster. Now the problem...i know it'll take a 1 G cpu but i need a bios update, but the one at the biostar site that i try to download comes up as a Ftp if that the right way of typing it. Plus it has to have a "flasher" , ok I'm not that tech savy so i need a little help. I would leave it the 450 but man ITS s l o w! And i already have the 1 GhZ installed but it runs at 765 MhZ. which i'm sure it's underclocked. Think any of ya'll can help? I think the M6TWG is the motherboard from biostar. If ya need any more infe just let me know!!

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

The board you have now is most likely a Pentium II board, and you will have to purchase a whole new system. Pentium III chips do not work in Pentium II series boards.

3. It supports P3 , but to use anything above a 600Mhz cpu, it has to have the bois upgrade.

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

You need to download this ftp://ftp.biostar-usa.com/drivers/utility/awardflash_826g_dos.exe - Award BIOS flashing utility and instruction file. This is only for legacy motherboards which do not support the Biostar Flasher technology (i.e. updating BIOS from within CMOS setup). Please use CMOS setup to update your BIOS instead of this utility whenever possible.

Which is the Flashing Utility. The utility will ask for the .bin file which is the bios update, and load it from there.

http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdownloads.asp?model=m6twg

5. i tried to download the bios flasher and the new bios.ok i did but when i tried to start the flash process it would say Award flasher not found. and prompt me to remove media and restart. I TRIED FOR ABOUT 2 HRS AND FINALLY GIVE UP. Unless i missed something in the read-me file i'm stuck a using the
    1G cpu as a 765 MhZ.........:(

6. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

1) make sure that the floppy is properly formatted (if required), and free from errors. You can do this from within windows, depending on what version you're running
    2) ensure that the files have downloaded correctly.
    3) Ensure that you are following procedure correctly. Read the readme thoroughly!!!

7. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

Are you sure you can't just move a jumper on the motherboard to accept 1ghz?

8. Followed the read me like it said.How do you make sure the download was right?As for the jumpers...not sure about that...but i followed the read me to tha t.download flasher-bios-send to disk-boot from floppy- nothing? Have i missed something???????

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds