Voice control of XP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jerseydevil, Mar 27, 2006.

1. jerseydevil

jerseydevil Private First Class

Has anyone used voice control software. Beyond Dragon I am interested in Commodio's software for control of Windows. Do these packages actually work?

2. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

I have used the kellogs snap crackle pop software, it sucked. I hear windows vista will have the most advanced speech reognition program ever.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Re: Vista, I could see MS making brazen claims like that ;)

OS X can be almost entirely controlled via voice command.

While I've not tried such software for Windows, it does work for OS X. Keep in mind though, voice software requires you to talk slow, and specifically. I don't think anyone has come close to perfecting it yet.

4. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

I've got a couple of little programs to kinda work - but the more commands (thus the more functionality) the command set has, the more specific you have to speak.

Mac OS started intergrating voice control back in 7.x. It was part of an upgrade which let you enable "Speakable Items" as an extension. It worked well, but only due to the limited number of commands it could use. Any more than about 30 or so it used to stall when analysing your speech - might be just my slow Mac I had at the time though.

As far as I know windows Voice Recognition API and subsequent SDK have only been out since 2001, but I'd need to look that up. If you've ever tried to play a game with Voice Command from MS intergrated, you'll know it ain't that great.

5. splitt3r

http://blogs.technet.com/chenley/archive/2006/02/21/420136.aspx

windows vista lets you customize the reycling bin :cool: And can OSX go on the interent with voice command and let you choose out of 30 pictures using only your voice?

6. jerseydevil

jerseydevil Private First Class

I just watched the presentation. I want Vista NOW! I want to surf the web w/o the mouse. I might as well wait for the new OS instead of pouring money into other software. How much will Vista cost and how much RAM will it require?:)

7. splitt3r

details are still kinda vague, I am looking forward to vista too though. It will probably cost $100=$400 for the different home versions. people are saying 1gb RAM and 2gb is you want optimal performance and all the nice effects. and you gotta have a GEforce 5 series or above with at least 128mb. oh and sadly vista was just delayed till next january:(

8. splitt3r

I might get it the day it comes out though, I am excited about DX10, games will look so pretty. especially once I upgrade to an 8200GTXCOFXTGSULTRA!!! or whatever is out by then.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds