External HD problem..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thi3f, Mar 27, 2006.

1. thi3f

thi3f Private E-2

Hello,

I just purchased a 300gb maxtor HD, and an Azio external casing. After receiving it, I installed the HD into the casing, and then plugged it into my laptop via USB. At first I had to format, using NTFS and everything worked fine.

Well, a day or so later I brought it home and tried plugging it into my desktop, which is where the problem began. Using disk management it recognizes the hard drive (well actually three, since I have it split in three partitions).. And from there I right clicked to add a drive letter and path. It wouldn't actually let me accses the drive though, from like My Computer, or just manually typing out it's location (F:/)..

So I restarted, only to see that everytime I restart the drive letter/path is erased, and I have to give it one all over again.

What's the problem here?

Is it because my desktop already has 370 gigs of space, and can't support 300 more? I'm not a hardware buff but I didn't imagine that'd ever be a problem. I mean, I can see within the drives by right clicking on them within disk management and clicking "open".

Any help?

2. katana

katana Private E-2

3. thi3f

thi3f Private E-2

Yes, it's set to master.

And as far as that software goes, would it really differ my laptop to desktop? I guess it could, since they both support different mobo's. So I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

4. katana

katana Private E-2

another thought came to mind it could be because it is formatted ntfs. might of been better to choose fat32 to make it more "universal" think i choose fat32 with mine and have had no probs, cant be sure as i left it at work..

5. katana

katana Private E-2

guess you created a partition on the drive?

6. thi3f

thi3f Private E-2

Yes, three partitions.

Hm, I'd prefer not formatting it, but it wouldn't be even near the end of the world. I could just back up my files before doing so.. bleh.

Formatting in times like this, feels like formatting when your computer is infected with a virus. There must be some other way hah.

I have some billiards to attend to, but thanks for the help and hopefully when I return I see lots of other tips ;)

7. criminelis

criminelis Corporal

I'm not 100% sure about this but i think the problem is that your computer assigns drive letters automatically to any usb storage media, it gives them the first driveletter available in alphabetical order.

So this is what happen when you assign drive letters to them on one PC:

Assuming you have a C: and D: partition your pc (automatically) assigns it as E: F: and G:

If you then hook it onto another PC/Laptop which has more driveletters you'll might get conflicts there.

Try to give your cdrom and/or other media devices other driveletters, like X: Y: Z: for example and see what happens

N.B.

If you have networkmappings you should disconnect from them, they always have conficts with usb storagemedia when the first available driveletter is used for networkaddress

8. thi3f

thi3f Private E-2

No, while in disk management you assign your own drive letter / path.

I'm using H,I, and J.

Here's another problem of mine.

While trying to format my disk, it says disk is not enabled, please restart to enable. Problem there is, after I restart it removes the drive letter/path.

Bleh, heh.

9. criminelis

criminelis Corporal

Do you use the "Remove hardware" function in the icon tray when you remove the hard drive?

10. thi3f

thi3f Private E-2

Nope. Well, never with my laptop anyways. I've not needed to thus far with the desktop :)

11. asturnacle

asturnacle Private E-2

thi3f;

try this with the ext'l and laptop powered down, the external drive usb plugged in power up the laptop, after boot up then power up the ext'l drive,
    new hardware should appear in the lower right (assuming windows), and
    u should see it in my computer and be able to use it and I would use the the removal option as criminelis said before shuting down

hope this helps
    asturnacle

12. thi3f

thi3f Private E-2

Did you read my problem? Or just the last post, haha.

That's not my problem :p

My laptop works fine with the external.

13. asturnacle

asturnacle Private E-2

thi3f;

sorry about that I have a 200 g maxtor ntfs and it lockout on both a laptop and desktop. it appears that the drive has a bit of protection built into it and
    u may need in any event on the desktop or on the laptop have it plugged in tothe usb port and power it down and when it is in park and stopped power it back up and see if the desk top will see it and u can access it

asturnacle

14. thi3f

thi3f Private E-2

Well, that's not the problem. My computer reads it. I can see it within disk management..

I just can't assign a path/drive letter and have it stay after I restart. So, I can never format them out via desktop because after setting a path/drive letter, you must restart to enable the disk.. but as I said, when I restart, it removes the letter/path, heh.

See my problem?

15. asturnacle

asturnacle Private E-2

thi3f;

sorry abt not understanding what u were trying to do. most usb type external drives appear to be classed by windows opr system as a external storage device and so are not treated by the opr system as a true bootable hard drive. If I have this right a parallel external hd using the external printer port and the right drive softwave will be treated by windows os as a true external hard drive.
    U might try one other item and that is if it after format before restart unplug it at the usb and remove the drv letter in my computer the os may re assign the same drive letter which was the before, but as u have said to assign and hold it, is beyond what I know.
    I did try with out sucesss to boot from a external usb hard drive and when it did boot (full opr sys on board) the machine did not see the internal hard drives and then during various read and write attempts conflicts were many.. bottom line did not work,

best of luck on this one
    asturnacle

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds