DVD Recorder vs PC TV Tuner

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tray-C, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Tray-C

Tray-C Private E-2

Which is a better route: stand-alone DVD-Recorder hooked to the TV, or a TV Tuner installed in my PC? :confused:

I want to jump on the bandwagon but can't decide which route would be better and why.

I have cable tv/internet. My splitters are already max'd out (but I can compromise, if needed)

I don't want to spend a lot of money for doing just the simple task of recording a tv show. The quality of recording tv isn't that much of a big deal, as we'll only watch the show once and then get rid of it. However, I WILL want to have a decent quality of copying a vhs tape to dvd.

So...that in mind, my thoughts are this:
    I'm looking at a dvd recorder with a hard drive for my living room. I could then record my tv shows and burn to dvd +/- RW disks as needed. Or just watch them from the dvd recorder. These good drives, I see, can run about $350-$700. And I don't want a dvd recorder/VCR combo (as I'm trying to get away from vcr's)

On the other hand:
    I could use my pc and install a TV Tuner, (I have PLENTY of hard drive space). Use the pc to record the shows then burn them to dvd +/- rw disks and watch them in any of the other rooms that I already have dvd players. But I'm also not sure on how copying my vhs tapes will be.

Can I get some ideas as to what route might be best and why? And, what specific features in both routes would I need to look for (now and for the future when HDTV is more standard)?

What I'm trying to get is this: advantages and disadvantages of one route over the other...and why.

Thanks,
    Tracy

2. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

Hi Tray-c
    With the price of PVR's at an all time low, that's the way to go. Most come with at least 100GB storage and a double speed DVD recorder. They've got ample input-output choices on the back panel so hooking up an external VCR will be no problem. Some even have auto-download TV-Guide Listings and clock set, so you'll never miss that favourite show again. They use MPEG compression, so on S-Video quality(about double regular TV video) you get 45 hours storage with the 100GB drive. Plus - it plays regular DVD movies ( RAM-Disks, my model) and music CDs. So you can't go wrong.:)

3. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

Rather than a DVD-recorder, i would recommend a DVR. (standalone Digital Video Recorder)

unless you have a dedicated PC to run the tv tuner, or you dont use the PC that would have the tv tuner often, I would recommend a DVR for simple ease of use.

I have a tv tuner because i dont have a TV in my room and its nice to have the option of watching TV on my monitor. As a PVR, it works fine, though if i do something that utilizes a lot of CPU, there are random skips in the video.

TV tuners are great-- if I had to buy one now it would be the ATi HDTV Wonder, so it could support HDTV.

A DVR is dedicated to recording the video, so quality is usually great. They're more expensive because they are standalone, but they have also have Firewire connections so you can put the video on your computer and record it to DVD if you ever want to (you could also just move the DVR to another room)

the pro's and con's are inherent in their uses... the biggest con of an HDTV capable DVR is the price.

If it were me, here are my choices:
    for ease of use- DVR.
    for best price- TV Tuner
    for best all around- build a dedicated HTPC (home theater PC) with a HDTV TV tuner and a DVD burner. You could make one of these for about the price of a good HDTV DVR on up to as much as you desire to spend, and it will do anything you want it to

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds