CPU Usage 75%/Lockup problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scrye79, Mar 28, 2006.

1. scrye79

scrye79 Private E-2

Need some help folks, I just cant get this figured out. I am having an issue where about 7 out of 10 cold boots my system shows that my CPU usage is constantly 75% or more, which obviously slows many other things down. And id say probably 2 of those 7 times the PC will hard lock just after windows loads. When CPU usage is up I check my proccesses running and nothing out of the ordinary shows up vs what is runnin when the CPU usage is normal.

This really bugged me so yesterday I formatted, clean install of Win XP SP2, did all the updates/drivers ect, installed World of Warcraft, firefox, and one custom UI from wowinterface.com, and AVG all from fresh downloads nothing saved from before the format. Ran fine that night, today i boot up and notice the same thing happening again, processor usage up to 80% constantly while the system is at idle.

I ran through all the "Read Me First" steps, none of the scans found anything suspicious on my system, I have my Hijack log posted below. Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated, this is driving me nuts.

Thanks in advance
    Drew

Attached Files:

2. scrye79

scrye79 Private E-2

Just incase it helps here are screenshots of my taskmanager showing the processes running when the CPU usage is normal and when its high at idle. The only difference I can see is an extra svchost.exe (29 processes normal vs 30 when CPU usage is high), ive done this a few times and got slightly varying results but always seems to be between 28 and 30 processes running, the extra's always seem to be the svchost.exe's.

Attached Files:

3. scrye79

scrye79 Private E-2

Few more logs from one from BitDefender and the other from the Panda scan

Attached Files:

4. scrye79

scrye79 Private E-2

Anyone have any ideas?

5. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

There are no obvious problems in your logs.

Does this problem happen in safe mode?
    Does it happen in normal boot mode if you do not have an internet connection available (unplug the cable - to make sure no connection can exist)?

Was you HJT log from a time when the problem was occurring? If not, attach one from the time when it is occurring.

6. scrye79

scrye79 Private E-2

I cant recall if the HJT scan was during a time where the problem was occurring, Im pretty sure it was, but ive included a new log that I just completed with cpu usage over 75%.

To update a bit, I formatted yet again two days ago, have done nothing to the PC but load windows get driver and window updates. Ive left the PC running for the last two days, only doing minimal surfing. Started to think maybe the problem was gone, today I did about an hour of heavy surfing then noticed the slowdown, checked processes and sure enough CPU usage is through the roof.

Unfortunately the problem is so sporadic, i have not been able to duplicate the problem with any reliability, I have not been able to reproduce it in safe mode or when cable modem is unplugged, but again, I cant duplicate it on demand in normal mode either.

Attached Files:

7. scrye79

scrye79 Private E-2

Im at a loss here, im starting to think maybe its hardware. About a month ago my vid card (MSI Geforce 6600GT) started giving me the pop up that it was not receiving enough power, I built this system about 18 months ago, its got a 450W power supply, which should be plenty, I unplugged one of my dvd burners, and a extra case fan, and havent gotten the message again.

Also in the bios looking at the voltages, most look pretty good

3.3v is getting 3.19v
    5.0v is getting 4.9v

the one that gets me, granted I didnt pay attention to this while the system was running properly so this could be fine also

ATX12v is only getting 10.5v

if you have to send this to hardware forum thats cool, im just at a total loss at the moment, Im just hoping i dont have to start replacing components if software/malware issues can be eliminated.

8. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Yes this belongs in hardware! Your 12V supply is way out of spec. And the 3.3V may be acceptable but it is 3.3 % low.

I'll move this to hardware since it is not a topic for this forum.

9. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

It does indeed look that simple your psu isnt strong enough,the 6600gt is very power hungry and as you have said you received an error stating this conferming the fact,unexplained lockups are also a sympton of a weak power supply1+1= cheap generic power supply:) ,can you post the make and model of the power supply,wattage alone doesnt mean anything :)

Could you also post the rest of your specs

10. scrye79

scrye79 Private E-2

Specs are :

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    DFI Lan Party UT NF3 250gb
    1gib (2x512) Twin1024 Corsair 3200 DDR
    MSI Geforce 6600 GT
    Raidmax 668WBP Case w/ Raidmax KY-520ATX 420w power supply
    80gig Seagate SATA HD
    NEC 16x DVD Burner

let me know if there is anymore info I can provide

Thanks
    Drew

11. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

The psu's that come with cases are nearly always cheap and of poor quality as in this case,your psu only has 13 amps on the 12v rail hence the 10.5v,the 6600gt needs all those amps just for itself let alone any other components

You need a quality power supply with a strong 12v rail 20 amps or more

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103928

:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds