Random crashes no error message.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Prophets21, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Prophets21

Prophets21 Staff Sergeant

Title says it all.

Get on the case geeks.

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

It will be assumed by rank and No. of posts that AV, Spyware, etc, etc scans have been undertaken and ruled out.

Okay after the crash, reboot and go into BIOS and check PC Health. What are your temps, fan RPMs' and voltages, make a note of all. Do you have a Shutdown Temp option and make a note of this. Lets see if it is an overheating and spring cleaning issue.

If voltages are erratic it maybe a dying PSU.

Lets get some baseline data and try to isolate the causal parameter.

Will wait for more info.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

4. Prophets21

As I said, no error messages. No blue screen.

I think it's hardware.

I've checked the BIOS...all voltages are set to "AUTO"...

My fan is safe, my temps are fine....

:rolleyes:

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

No errors, no description= no way to help you find the cause.

Good luck ;)

6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

I agree What activity are you doing when it crashes? Gaming?!? Have you gone to your device manager and checked for ! or X. More info and more advice can be supplied!!!!

7. Prophets21

I'm not doing anything when it crashes, maybe just browsing the web (mozilla 1.5) or listening to music (fubar 0.9).

The event log is saying nothing.

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Does it reboot, or lockup?

Stop error? Blue screen?

I'd like to help, but I don't feel that I should have to rip it out of you.

When you have crashes, something happens. Something always happens. YOu can describe that, no?

9. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Lol, LOL, yes my sherlock holmes emulation is elegantly dissipating and sadly my crystal ball has cracked and is giving me misty and very vague, cloudy opaque images. I am at a loss to assist at the moment.

10. Prophets21

Yea yea enough jokes already.

I've been twinking about in the BIOS and I've found that memory acceleration is on...I turned it off. I also reset all the RAM speeds to the lowest possible.

All voltages are on the default setting.

Just to clarify....this is what happens when it crashes...........

11. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Sorry Prophets, did you check the Device Manager (your sus on a hardware iss and this may support this).

12. Prophets21

It's been ok for a while now.

13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

What am I missing?

What happens?

14. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Prophets have you been OC this sys?!? It seems you have been tweaking the BIOS in this area. If so I would highly recommend you also go to the overclock forum and contact Ace256 or Toolhouse and PM them and indicate this thread.

15. Prophets21

I was overclocking yes, I'm not anymore.

I think I have found a fix for the crashing problem when I reset the BIOS.

16. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Yea I'm sure if you backed it off to more reasonable settings you have amazingly rectified the prob.

Prophets you should have said OC at the START!!!! You have had Adrynalyne (obviuosly a very senior member) and myself try to assist you and have only given us the most limited and vague info. If you said this at the start (OC) I'm sure we would have both refered you to the more experienced people (in this field) in the overclocking forum. Please think of these aspects in the future before people try to sincerely help you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds