eVGA GeForce 6600 256mb vs 6600 GT 128mb Video Card ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zubb99, Mar 29, 2006.

1. zubb99

zubb99 Private E-2

I can purchase the following cards for the same price (after rebate):

eVGA GeForce 6600 256mb Core Clock 300 MHz Memory Clock 500MHz
    eVGA GeForce 6600 GT 128mb Core Clock 500 MHz Memory Clock 900MHz

For gaming, which card is the better value? Is Clock Speed more important than memory?

2. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

definately the 6600gt, although I have it and I am not too impressed, it does play all the ne wgames though. if you cna afford it m aybe go with a 7600gt. you are actually looking at the exact same card as mine, and the fan is LOUD and ir barely keeps the card at safe load temps.I am thinking about buying an arctic silencer for it.have a look at thse benchmarks, and keep in mind your card runs at higher speeds than the cards listed here.
    http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/gffx/nv43-p04.html

3. *WavyGravy*

*WavyGravy* Corporal

Go with the 6600gt, like Splitt said: it will play all the new games for now and awhile later on. No temp problems to complain of here...at least not yet.

++~~w_av_y~~++

4. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

you can get a 6800 for about the price of a 6600gt due to the release of the new 7 series cards :D

5. zubb99

zubb99 Private E-2

Thanks for the advice. The "digit-life" url that SPLITT3R mentioned, provided everything, and more, of what to expect from the two video cards. It's clear that even though the 6600GT has only 128mb of memory, it performs a lot better than the 6600 with 256mb. I intend to go with 6600GT because the 7600GT is out of my price range.
    Thanks again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds