Vid Card, is this Firmware, Driver or Hardware prob?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bold Eagle, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Have been reading the threads on Oblivion at this site and it looks awesome. Any way there was a link to test assess your systems capacity to play the game:

http://www.srtest.com/referrer/srtest

The report came back and I miss out in only 2 parameters out of 6 for video card and I was wondering is it possible to fix this with firmware or optimized drivers. I have the latest Catalyst v6.3 and recently updated SISuvga v.3.72. I'm so frustrated to think I only bought this card 6-8 months ago and it is starting to stuggle.

Any help or advice would be greatly.

The ques is can I update the Vertex Shader v.xx and the Pixel Shader v.xx or is it a locked hardware issue.

Attached Files:

2. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

you can't fix it, it's hardware, sorry. you'll need to upgrade your video card.

3. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

you may want to consider a system upgrade to pcie graphics, if not there are still some good apg video cards available.

4. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Do you think AGP is on the way out (Beta > VHS > DVD) and it will be PCI-E x16 (dual, etc) all the way from here thus why buy fading technology, just interested in your opinion, any hardware upgrades are on hold at the moment.

5. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

agp is on it's way out that's a fact, not a opinion. almost all the new cards being made are pci-e. good luck.

6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

That was my suspuscion, therefore it is mobo as well as video card upgrade at the bare minimal at this point. My current mobo want take advantage of the PCI-E x 16 (nor SLI) still learning about this but it seems obvious this is the next step (if I don't want rapidly dating technology). Thanks for the input

7. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

no problem. I am still using a 6600gt agp myself; the next time upgrade it will be painfull.

8. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Bold eagle you have a 3.0ghz p4 your system can make use of a more powerfull agp card,it would be well worth the money you can get some pretty good agp cards ATM cheap but it just depends on how much you enjoy playing games

ATM your system isnt balanced your cpu has alot more potential,you might want to ugrade that in a year or so anyway,so why not have a good video card now and in a year or so upgrade the lot MHO :)

9. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Hmm cheers Rikky I'll have a look. I'm just frustrated bought this system August last year and to think this vid card is struggling already. It seems the salesman took the mick because they assessed I was such a n00b at that time even though I asked them to upgrade the RAM, GPU, etc and give me some good stuff, not quite top of the range but not standard either. Thankfully next time I will have my finger on the pulse and make a lot more informed decisions and it's because of this site and guys like yourselfs (plus research). Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds