Wireless networking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lev, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

So, my husband and I have decided to purchase a laptop/notebook to compliment our existing computer set up. We currently have a wireless dsl set up on the home PC (thought I it currently runs through the ethernet cable as it is just the one machine) using a Qwest GT701 wireless gateway modem, which can also be a router is settings are activated.

We are wanting the laptop to.....

1. Use the dsl from home wirelessly
    2. Use it at work remotely
    3. Use it when travelling away from home.

So, not sure what cards and other equipment and we am going to need to look for as part of the standard when purchasing a notepad/laptop, and would appreciate any advice e.g built-in modems, NICs etc.

Simple terms appreciated as I'm struggling to get my head around the 3 different options and their requirements. Thanks in advance.

If anyone has any specific laptop/notepad recommendations that are on sale out there, that would be way cool too. Under $1000 pref, as home PC is main system fully loaded.

2. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

Some laptops will have a built in wireless card be it B or G, and a wired card if you want to hook straight up if you are at a place where there is a wired connection. As an example I bought a Compaq Presario that had a wireless 54g card built in and has the wired onboard to so if I am at home I use the wireless and if I am away I just carry a Rj45 cable with me and hook up to what ever connection is there. As Brands go I think it iis what is on special at the moment if you go with major manufactures all will Offer some type of warranty it depends on who's is the best. It depends on what you want the latop to do when choosing the processor you get some of the Intel choices have Exellent battery life but are more expensive than there Amd counterparts. My Laptop has a AMD 2800 in it and performs well as I did not need a powerfull processor with my two desktop machines already having that. On the memory I would go 512mb-1gig.

3. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

4. Megalith

Megalith Private E-2

Yeah def get a laptop with built in wireless functionality. You wont need any other hardware. You would however have to ensure it is correctly setup. I would recommend using WPA-PSK security this means setting up both the laptop and the router to both have the same setting for security and to have the same passphrase (8-63) characters long, I would recommend something long as this passphrase, my own passphrase is about 45 characters long.

Also for added security I would change the SSID to something other than the default. These measures will help to prevent other people from using your connection (they may already be btw)

5. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Thanks guys.....I appreciate the helpful input and food for thought :)

6. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

7. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Looks decent, i don't see any reason not to buy.

8. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

The only thing I do not like is the 4200rpm hard drive most newer notebooks have a 5200rpm hard drive

9. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

Could not edit last post meant to say I switched my original hardrive for a 5400rpm har drive and could tell a whole lot of difference

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds