Monitoring wireless connections.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Balakir, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Balakir

Balakir Private E-2

Is there a piece of software or something inbuilt to wireless routers that allows you to see exactly how many computers are connecting to it wireless. my connection was bad today and when i check my ip i was .7 at the end. Using a netgear router this means there was 5 other ppl using my connection. i only have 3 pc's in the house and only the one i was on was being used so i should have been .2.

Router is Netgear WGR614v2.

2. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

3. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

There is ways to do it but it complicated and Not worth while.

Why? Because the real problem is Not the few bytes of Internet Bandwidth that you was Robbed Off.

If your connection is Not secured people can sniff it and get real valuable information out of your Network traffic and you would not even know about it.

So secure your connection and No body will “steal” any thing from you and your Network.

May be this can Help, Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

:cool:

4. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Did you try to ping the other used addresses and see if they responded?
    They might of been old addresses on your network that DHCP leases had not expired...

5. Balakir

Balakir Private E-2

Thanks all for the quick replys, soon as it happened and even before i posted here i had turned on my WEP and secured it. Was more interested in finding out if there was a way to monitor it easilt :).

And i figured out it was my next door neighbours for some reason they were picking up my network as being stronger than theirs lol.

Again thanx for the quick and helpful replys

6. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Well, since you're using WEP now your neighbours shouldn't be able to connect - even by accident.

It also means that people who are not actually connected to your network (i.e. they are not associated with the AP, and don't have an IP on your network) can't casually sniff traffic. They would need your WEP key to decode your network traffic - which, although is fairly trivial to bypass given about 20 minutes in signal range, is enough to deter the malicious user.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds