Weird Sounds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hanniblex, Apr 3, 2006.

1. hanniblex

hanniblex Private E-2

I don't know why but my computer has been making weird motorcycle-like sounds lately. It is coming from the top fan. It used to stop once the computer rebooted completely but now it just keeping going. I was wondering how can I fix this annoying problem?

2. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

Strange fan sounds usually mean the fan is about to die, I would suggest replacing it, newegg.com has tons of fans to choose from.

3. hanniblex

hanniblex Private E-2

which fan is the one ummm not on the case but on that little silver box?

4. splitt3r

that is your power supply fan, you will probably have to replace the whole power supply, the fans are usually hardwired into it. Antec makes good affordable power supplies, it isn;t something that is too difficult to replace, just make sure you get everything plugged back in the same way.

5. hanniblex

hanniblex Private E-2

Pfft me touch the inside of a computer? A disaster waiting to happen...I'll just get the people at compusa to do it for $30(Makes me want to do it myself)....I am not too computer smart, so I was wondering if its safe to do it myself.

6. hanniblex

hanniblex Private E-2

wait not the one INSIDE a silver box....The one that is not visible from outside of the case.

7. splitt3r

the one on your cpu? explain where it is, is it sitting on a heatsink?I'm not sure what you mean by metal box.

8. hanniblex

hanniblex Private E-2

If the heatsink is a silver metallic peice with slits in it....and the fan is sitting on top of that thing....I hope im not being too vague

9. splitt3r

yeah, definately the cpu heatsink fan. they are easy to replace, all you need to do is
    1.turn of computer/unplug
    2.unscrew old fan
    3.screw in new fan
    4.plug in the new fan
    5.turn on your comp
    and fans are pretty cheap, just get a good one, if that fan dies you could fry the most expensive part of your computer.oh yeah, make sure you find on the right size, probably 70mm or 80mm, just measure it straight across the top.

10. hanniblex

hanniblex Private E-2

Thank you man, I have to turn this thing off now because I don't think 108 degrees fareheit looks good on that Everest thing

11. splitt3r

108F actually isn;t that bad, Cpus can handle like 70C before they die. and it is best to keep them under 60C, but yeah, you def want to get the fan replaced.

12. hanniblex

hanniblex Private E-2

grrr now im not sure where the sound is coming from....hmmm the powersupply is suppose to buzzz alittle right?

13. hanniblex

hanniblex Private E-2

I know its not the case fan....The heatsink one is near the powersupply so i can't figure out which sound is coming from which....or maybe it's both?

14. splitt3r

:eek: so, you have a fan that sounds like a motorcycle and your power supply is buzzing, what did you do to that poor computer? and easy way to figure out which one is making the noise, jab a funnel in your ear and put it up to each of the fans, or stop the fan for a second.

15. hanniblex

hanniblex Private E-2

Ok...I think i know the problem....I just replaced my graphics card a few months ago...now the fan on it is making noise.....Tell me how can i fix that?

16. splitt3r

what model is it, and what brand? you can buy an aftermarket cooler or RMA the card.

17. hanniblex

hanniblex Private E-2

well since i have a gay computer i had to settle for a Radeon 9250 PCI card because my computer has a GL 1x

18. splitt3r

You should definately RMA the card, I think ATI has a fairly good warranty, you need to call or email them about it.

19. hanniblex

hanniblex Private E-2

ok and what does RMA mean?

20. splitt3r

urbandictionary definition
    1. RMA
    Short for "Return Merchandise Authorization". Usually describes the whole procedure of returning and replacing faulty hardware.

:cool:

21. hanniblex

hanniblex Private E-2

Have you ever RMAed something? If so how long did it take?

22. splitt3r

no, I haven't, it completely depends on the manufacturer.

23. hanniblex

hanniblex Private E-2

ok thank you im off to do that now

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds