Aaahh! Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by geekedittilitGHz, Apr 3, 2006.

1. geekedittilitGHz

geekedittilitGHz <i>puto cum grano salis</i>

i was just ocing my vid card and then my comp froze... i waited a litlle bit and went into bios and it said my CPU tempwas like 79 and it kept climbing.... i turned it off and i think it was cuz my vid card runs hot... but im not sure..i no thats really hot... and i am scared... HELP!!!! i have a AMD 3000+ oced from 2.0 to 2.2... thats not the problem its usually cooler... and a zalman heatsink for the CPU.... and my vid card is an ATi Radeon 9600

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Is the CPU fan spinning in the Zalman. I recently refreshed the thermal paste and "gingerly" plugged in the CPU fan into the mobo, such a tight sqeeuze to get plug in. Fine for a couple of hours then similar thing I hit 80c and browned my pants. Went into BIOS and could see CPU fan @0 RPM, fiddled plug and it fell off, less gingerly plugged back in, prob fixed. Firstly check BIOS for fan RPM's. Remove side case and visually check all fans are running. Record and back off all OC settings back for the moment.

3. geekedittilitGHz

the fan is spinning

4. geekedittilitGHz

everything is fine... its just overheating...i just turned Cool 'N' quiet on again.. had it off cuz of ocing... but maybe that could be the issue? im freakin out man! :( :( :( :(

PLEASE TELL ME I DIDNT FRY IT!

5. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

It seems like maybe an incorrect reading, you say you were overclocking your GPU and the CPU overheated? that is wierd, i would make sure all the heatsinks are making good contact.

6. geekedittilitGHz

everythings good... yes ur correct...i sure hope its an incorrect reading thats a crazy temp...any ways to make sure? im afraid to boot it up... or even touch it... :(

7. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

As long as it wasn't prolonged I think you should be fine.

Temps for your CPU from here:

http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm

Athlon 64-3000+ (S754 - 2.0GHz - 512KB) 1.5V (?V~?V) ?V 57.8A 89W 70° C

I hope you haven't done anything, but I would back off the OC for the moment.

8. geekedittilitGHz

ok ill try that but i will wait overnight to let it cool... and see what happens give an update then thx

9. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Don't mean to be a wuss wrt to OC but lets get the cooling back on side.

Just for interest sake which app where you using for OC the GPU, was it ATI Tray Tools v0.25 Beta, apparently very buggy but v0.24 is solid. Anyway another forum that may help wrt OC GPU is:

http://www.guru3d.com/

Heaps of good stuff and forums specifically for ATI Video Cards, Drivers, etc. Have a look.

10. geekedittilitGHz

ok ya i use the newest ATiTool the .25 beta 14 version.. i let the computer sit for 1 hour and i personally think (dunno if its possible) that the sensor is fried... lettin it sit in a cool room 70-75F should cool faster.... i felt heatsink.. felt nice and cool... yet the temps still climb outrageously...

11. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

This is strange if heatsink feels cool yet monitors are saying 79C ( it was definately C wasn't) I'm sure it was and your system hit it's "Shutdown Temp" set in BIOS. Now this is a good point you should be able to set this yourself if you want and lower it so your sys will shut down before hitting 79C. I did after my scare and bought it down to about 75C. Better to have sys shut down than fry.

Maybe get ATI v0.24 and wait for the pest exterminators to clean up v0.25.

12. geekedittilitGHz

imafraid to turn it on.. should i be? i just dont wanna screw it up
    also... if its hittin 79C i cant put on the auto shut off (its offf) the highest temp on there is 70C

13. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Fair point I'm gonna err on the side of caution here and recommend you ask ACE in the OC forum and others. I really don't want to give bad advice on this one so more opnions are definatley needed. Try PM ACE.

Here's a sticky on ATI tool:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=86655

For when things are up and running again.

14. geekedittilitGHz

i would ask ace but he wont talk to me right now i usually talk to him on aim... but he is very busy so when hes done i will thx for all u help BTW

15. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

No probs. Are you using a guide for the ATI Tool I have one, but basically 1 hour on Core, then reset and 1 hour on Mem. Then back it off a bit from where artifacts start to appear.

16. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

have you set all the OC settings back to default?

I have to throw this comment in and its not aimed at you geek, but all that overclock..... things can go wrong so if you cannot afford to take the chance that you may need to replace your blown hardware after a problem due to OCing then dont OC!

17. geekedittilitGHz

ok let it sit overnight the temps still shot up... i dont think theres anyway that in can go from 47C to 60C in less than a minute in a room thats aaround 70-75F.... Can the sensorbe messed up? should i try booting it?
    edit i turned off ocing and lowered mem voltages

18. geekedittilitGHz

ok well im just too afraid to boot it... Heres the clear story for everyone....
    I was overclocking my ATi 9600 in ATi Tool... I could feel how hot it was gettting so i closed ATi Tool... My computer froze. I originally thought it was becase of the video card glitching but i waited a litle bit and then i turned it onand went into the bios. I looked at PC Heath Status and under CPU Temp it said like 70C and climbed in incriments of 2 C a sec.... I instantly turned it off and started posting here. I currently put back on Cool 'n' quiet and turned of the ocing and the mem voltages. I let it sit overnight in a cool room... i turned it on this morning and still i had rising temps from 48C all the way to 60C in less than a minute. I have never heard of a chip getting that hot that fast... OK hopefullythis will answer any questions u guys have...
    Now should i boot it or not?

ok i got to go to skool ill bee back in like 5 hrs
    thx all

19. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Geez dude it's sounding concerning it may mean you have to remove your heatsink and check if your have cracked your diode (really, really hate to say this). Hopefully it is something really simple. I have just been surfing and found a ton of info you may be interested in:

http://www.overclock.net/
    &
    http://www.overclock.net/new-member...ultimate-overclock-net-guide-compilation.html
    &
    http://www.overclock.net/overclock.php?file=articles/overclock-graphics-card.htm

They have tons of info here, I hope I am not rubbing salt in the wounds and I sincerely don't intend to.

It's beyond my depth at the moment but will keep looking.

20. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I think this is your best option upto now, remove HSF and clean the thermal paste off the cpu die, check for any damage or burn marks ( also clean Heat Sink base with rubbing alcohol/isopropanol ) reapply new thermal paste, and but HSF back, reset CMOS ( remove battery ) then reboot.

21. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

Im here, and free long enough to drop my two cents in the bucket :)...

Well temp sensors fail, as do fans and even the mountings on the heatsink can give way from time to time. Take the heatsink off checking for a nice solid contact and heatsink goop, check fans and airflow, should be no brainer stuff. Just take your time and look for the problem (if thare is one). Just dont forget to use the temp sensors that never lie, your fingers ;) if its to hot to keep your finger on its most likely to hot. I just skimmed over this so i might have missed something. But check it out thoughly and if every thing is good cooler wise just run it and keep a close eye on the temps "manualy"..

22. geekedittilitGHz

think i found the problem... heatsink is loose.. next problem... its been like that and i cant tightten it....

23. geekedittilitGHz

the reason i think this is cuz when i press down on the heatsink temps go down....
    also it doesnt feel hot with my fingers...

24. geekedittilitGHz

i have it on right now... its running (according to speed fan) at 54C... thats not super but its better than 70-80C

25. geekedittilitGHz

ok so i am messin around and i get up to 75C in full load... (playing css)
    what should i do?

26. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Any movement of the heatsink once installed will break the viscous coupling between the heatsink and the chip,this will let air in which is a bad conductor,you need to remove the heatsink, clean off the old paste with alchohol,apply some fresh paste and reinstall your heatsink :)

27. Rikky

28. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Sounds reassuring and I agree with Rikky the TIM has become corrupted with air pockets allowing a greater increase in temps. You'll have to asses the mounting array for the heatsink while it's off and make sure nothing is loose.

29. xxmonkey321xx

xxmonkey321xx Private E-2

hey lj... err whatever ur name is on these forums...

any luck? from what i read inthis topic so far theres lots of thing that could be wrong. Maybe u fried ur bios, or your whole mobo :S

lemme know whats going on

oh and hi to all the ppl here... im new and stuff. geek told me about u guys :D

30. geekedittilitGHz

no i can use my computer eric... im on it right now! umm it just runs a little hot... its not killin itself... i think itll be ok..

31. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

With this in mind I would still consider the removal and assessment of the TIM (Termal interface material), HS, and it's mounting array, this probably wont improve but only get worse over time if not addressed.

32. geekedittilitGHz

ok took me a while but i have decided to redo the AS5 and my heatsink soon.... i wanted my buddy to come over and help...

33. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Good to hear make sure it is sorted in your head before undertaking.

34. geekedittilitGHz

well ill be doin it 2moro dont worry ill be sure to post if i have problems you guys no that! :D :D ;)

35. geekedittilitGHz

ok well im about to do it... anything i should know before i do it? how do i remove crusty paste and stuff like that?

36. geekedittilitGHz

ooh and what should the temps be around when im done? because they used to be like 34C when new... now its runs like 50 idle

37. Rikky

With a peice of cloth,lint free if you have any,I just use cellulose kitchen roll,you should be able to remove most of it, just wipe it off,if there are any stubborn bits use isopropyl alchohol,for best results you should wipe the cpu and the heatsink with the alchohol to remove any greese

When removing the heatsink use a very gentle twisting rocking motion to break the the viscous seal,dont just pull the heatsink straight up ;)

EDIT Temp Depends how good of a job you do,

38. geekedittilitGHz

how do i do a good job? lol
    any tips?

39. geekedittilitGHz

oh and ill post pics on how it looked and how it looks when im done... just so you guys can tell me if i did anything wrong .... not that i would ;)

40. Rikky

There are two methods of application,the spread or the dab,the spread you spread an even amount of paste over the top of the cpu,the dab you put a small amount in the centre of the cpu "as big as a grain of rice",I dont like the dab as when I used the method to install my xp-90 heatsink the AS5 was too viscous to be sqaushed flat by the clamping mechanism,what happend was the the four corners of the heatspreader on the cpu gouged marks into the soft copper base of the heatsink due to the heatspreader or heatsink bending around the paste :rolleyes:

Now I use a credit card to work the paste into a perfect flat film of paste ontop of the cpu "I take the cpu out and place it on an antistatic bag from a harddrive or something and grip the side with my thumb and forefinger",thin enough to read the writing on top of the heatspreader and flat and shiny like a mirror,it can take me up to half an hour to get the paste as thin and flat as I want it and can get frustrating and I can mess up the install by placing the heatsink on too far off centre causing me to start all over again

Here are the recommended instructions for AS5

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

41. geekedittilitGHz

ok about to go in after i eat my oreos and wash my hands lol :D
    thanks for all the help like i said ill post pics of what it looks like now and after

42. geekedittilitGHz

43. Rikky

Looks about the right amount,keep working it with a credit card,every so often hold and use it as a mirror to look at a lightsource,this will show you any inperfections,if you put a desklamp in front of you so you can see the reflection of the lamp in the paste you will be able to see how flat it is,dont be afraid to press down and bend the credit card,when I do it my goal is to press down hard and get the paste flat with one clean stroke,a wave of paste will build up on the card,I use a knife to scrape it off the card and keep it to one side incase you feel you might have scraped a little too much paste off and need to apply more

If its becoming too much of a chore you can always try the dab method,you have enough paste for around 10 attempts in the one tube,it would make sense to try both methods to see which one gives you the lowest temperatures :)

44. geekedittilitGHz

ok hows this? should i do the same to the heatsink? or just leave it clean

opps sorry lemme get this link!!

45. Rikky

leave the heatsink clean,no link m8?

46. geekedittilitGHz

47. geekedittilitGHz

ok well im gunna go with that cuz i gotta go to the dentist soon :( ok thx for your help rikky!

48. Rikky

I cant tell much from the picture but it doesnt look shiny or an equal covering:confused:

49. geekedittilitGHz

50. geekedittilitGHz

ok booted up... its actually running hotter WTH IS WRONG WITH MY POS computer?!!?

edit: 60C idle!!
    i got it up to 77C when i was running prime 95

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds