Where's my freakin' memory ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FED UP, Apr 5, 2006.

1. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Briefly:
    Replaced original hard drive on computer.
    Went to a Maxtor 80 gig (down from the original 200 gig)
    Now, when setting up my system again, i dont seem to be getting access to all my memory . Memory was expanded to 1gig.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name ASSWIPE
    System Manufacturer Gateway
    System Model 827GM
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 15 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~2188 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 3/2/2005
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
    User Name ASSWIPE\Owner
    Time Zone Central Standard Time
    Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 564.27 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 2.40 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Theres my system info readout. Notice the physical memory and the AVAILABLE physical memory. I have no applications running other than Firefox. I also have a RADEON x700 pro. I think that some of that memory is getting eaten up by my onboard graphics processor, and I cant seem to figure out if Im even running on the x700 or the onboard.
    Reading an old thread here at Major Geeks, I was told to boot into BIOS and disable IGP. There is no mention anywhere i can find in the BIOS menus abobut IGP .
    Also, when I put in a music CD, i get some error telling me that I must have at least 3mb of virtual memory available . System Info tells me i have 2GB virtual available.
    Confusing.
    By the way, yes i DO KNOW that my computer's name is Asswipe. Thanks.
    :rolleyes:

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Thats weird, goto Task Manager and sort processes by CPU, this will give you a % breakdown of what processes are using what % of avail mem. Start there and then if you find some mystery bags (wtf processes) goto these links to understand what they are:

http://www.answersthatwork.com/

http://www.processlibrary.com/

Also I think your page file allocation is pretty big and taking avail sys memory you could lower this to about 1.5Gb and this may clear up some sys mem for you.

3. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

pfft!'
    System Idle Process 99% while cpu usage varies from 0% to 25%

6 instances of svchost.exe running.
    processes library not too clear on exactly what that is or does. They want you to purchase their software, so they wont tell you too much.

Still scratching head on this one, any other ideas ?

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Your memory usage is pretty high but not unknown by any means,there are various other factors that can account for the used memory even if you only have one app running such as how long your computer has been on,what programs you have opened and closed previously and what programs you have installed that can run as soon as you boot your computer

Try restarting your computer,once reloaded go straight into task manager,click performance and post how much available physical memory you have

To disbale programs auto starting when you boot your computer go to control panel\admin tools,services,set the services you dont want to start when windows loads to manual,I'd recommend only disabling programs you obviously recognise and not windows components ATM

I'v just checked around and it seems your bios will automatically detect your video card and disable onboard which will also automatically free up the memory there isnt a setting in bios :)

Its normal for that many svchost.exe's to be running,to be sure you havnt been infected by virus's or spyware you must have an up to date antivirus,firewall and antispyware at all times,Do you :confused: check the stickies in the spyware forum

:)

5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

The process library link was were you could type in any processes you are unsure off what they are doing and it will tell you what application it is associated with. Answers That Matter (probably better just older) is exactly the same but can also tell you a). If it is a crucial system file, and b). if not how you can remove it.

The purpose was for you to be able to understand what is running on your comp.

Rikky is right 6 instances svchost.exe is quite normal and expected. Do what Rikky has suggested even take a screenshot of the performance screen if you can and post it.

6. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

First I would like to thank both of you for helping me out here,
    I just restarted the comp and here is the system info screen.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name ASSWIPE
    System Manufacturer Gateway
    System Model 827GM
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 15 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~2188 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 3/2/2005
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
    User Name ASSWIPE\Owner
    Time Zone Central Standard Time
    Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 676.67 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 2.40 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

If I could figure out how to take a screenshot of task manager performance screen, i would post it.
    I guess thats what I will research right now.
    Thanks for helping me out . (dont stop !)

7. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Okay download and install Irfanview:

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4253

Then press the "Print Screen SysRq" button, open Irfanview and select Paste from the Edit Menu, then select "Save As" from the File menu and in the submenu on rhs slide to about 65% image quality to lower file size to ~90Kb and jpg file format (this site allows uploaded images upto 97.7Kb). Your done and an invaluable tool to have.

Attached Files:

8. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Okay cool...
    Ill do that first thing in the morning when i get home from work.
    :D

9. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

By the way you should have open what ever the app/process is on screen before taking the "Screenshot", obvious but easily overlooked.

10. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Irfanview downloaded.
    Seems a bit more complicated than i was hoping, and i am WAY too exhausted to figure out how to use it this morning. I just got off a 14 hour work shift . My brain i tired. My bed beckons. As much as i want to do this RIGHT now, my cognition in my current state will not allow me to figure it out this morning. It will just have to wait until i can handle the figuring out part.
    example :
    "Then press the "Print Screen SysRq" button"
    i cant even figure that one out.(yet)
    damn.
    :(
    I promise to get this done ASAP,.

sleep.
    sleep now.
    sleep good.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds